NVQ or AM2???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparklychris10

Reaction score
I've completed my C&G 2330 Levels 1,2,& 3 but still not sure wether to do an AM2 or an NVQ3 to complete my qualification... suggestions???

I would do both mate. Especially the Am2 as that is a good exam and you will gain alot out of it. :)

But in matters of time and depth of course, which one is likely to be more worthwhile in the industry?

Well the NVQ will take long to do than the AM2 as the AM2 is a 3 day course with optional 2 day preperation course. I believe the AM2 would be worthwhile but that is only my opinion.

NVQ Level 3 is needed for a JIB card. But really it's best to have both.

As Dean says the NVQ is required to gain JIB grading, on the Apprenticeship Framework AM2 is also required & covers 34 POs in the NVQ. Many older bosses like to see AM2 as they understand it better than NVQs so it is probably wise to go for both.

Thanks for the replies guys, so you can be an approved spark with nvq3 and 2391 and no am2...is that correct?

last year when i finished my 2330 the college payed for my nvq and am2 course some sort of government thing that was going around.

nvq is a doddle just a pain in the arse it`s all basic stuff i am sure if you have done 2330 you can fly throw the nvq if you got a good college and willing to put the work in.

The new qualification (C&G 2357) includes both parts (as well as the classroom bits), the nvq as 8 practical assessments 'on-site' and the AM2 as a seperate unit you must complete to gain the 2357. The logic being the 'industry' wants this to avoid 'paper' electricians.

Based on this, I would look to complete both the AM2 and the NVQ to go with your L2 and L3 2330 qualifications

regards

Mark