Off the grid.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offgridAndy

Reaction score
I was a long term Navitron member which was the best off grid forum but is no more. I just found this site today whilst researching info on Lipo's. I live completley off grid on a high hill side in Mid Wales. Currently (ha ha) have 6.5Kw PV panels, 24V 1000Ahr (C5) lead acid batteries and a 3Kw ST wind turbine which I have ac coupled to my house grid. Back up is an 8Kva Lister genset.

Long journey getting WT set up right (10 years) but now all is peachy with 19.5Kw generated yesterday. I have built 3 Hugh Piggot wind turbines over the years and commend any one interested to his website. And don't even look at vertical axis WT. No manufacturer to my knowledge has actual verifiable performance figures.

Later this year I plan to start a major upgrade to future proof the system. This will include installing a 48V Lipo battery 1000Ahr, new inverter charger and replacing the old Lister with a LPG powered 12KVa genset.

1st step is installing a 3000ltr bulk LPG tank, which involves a bunch of concrete to mix for the slab and my back is hurting already. Luckily my good lady will do the digging of the trench. 25 mtrs along 500mm deep, on bed rock here so she must love me.

I was a long term Navitron member which was the best off grid forum but is no more. I just found this site today whilst researching info on Lipo's. I live completley off grid on a high hill side in Mid Wales. Currently (ha ha) have 6.5Kw PV panels, 24V 1000Ahr (C5) lead acid batteries and a 3Kw ST wind turbine which I have ac coupled to my house grid. Back up is an 8Kva Lister genset.

Long journey getting WT set up right (10 years) but now all is peachy with 19.5Kw generated yesterday. I have built 3 Hugh Piggot wind turbines over the years and commend any one interested to his website. And don't even look at vertical axis WT. No manufacturer to my knowledge has actual verifiable performance figures.

Later this year I plan to start a major upgrade to future proof the system. This will include installing a 48V Lipo battery 1000Ahr, new inverter charger and replacing the old Lister with a LPG powered 12KVa genset.

1st step is installing a 3000ltr bulk LPG tank, which involves a bunch of concrete to mix for the slab and my back is hurting already. Luckily my good lady will do the digging of the trench. 25 mtrs along 500mm deep, on bed rock here so she must love me.
Sounds interesting, I've always been intrigued by off grid setups.

Good luck with your project and keep us updated on it please.
2 or 3 of us on here were also on the Navitron forum, pity it folded.

Thank you roys, binky. Aye the folding of Navitron was a great loss as the whole archive of really useful stuff was effectivley lost. Plus it represented my social life.

Because of the Navitron forum I ended up putting together a wind turbine controller for a couple in Australia, 6 months later they came over and picked it up, they were great company and ended up staying with us for about 4 days.

Not sure I can post links yet, but I've enjoyed following Kris Harbour on youtube, if link doesn't work search for 'kris harbour natural building'

Also in wales, on an 18 acre plot with solar, self built co-axial turbine and self built micro hydro hooked to a forklift battery. He's also running a 3-phase workshop, including a plasma cutter, off it all. You've got 7 years of vids to catch up on :)

Link is to his most popular vid reviewing the set up after 5 yrs.