Old VIR Cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StressSparky

Reaction score
Hey guys, im just wondering about the old VIR cables, are these completely dangerous?

i've heard plenty about where just moving them can cause them to fall to pieces, so what im also wondering is, if continunity and IR tests are good on them are they still deemed safe?

Cause personally id think these should be upgraded ASAP, ive browsed a few threads already but cant find a solid answer, so if these tests are ok, would they be passable on a Full test is carried out?

or is it simply out-dated cable needs replacing, no compromise?

Cheers. :worship

Cheers for that bud, next point :)

so if for instance this was tested on a periodic and came under reference method A, aslong as these cables test ok would it pass?

Also would the recommendation for replacing the cables have to be noted on the certificate?

I don't see what difference the reference method has to do with the fact that they are VIR cables... It's up to the person carrying out the PIR to determine that the cables are in a good and safe condition and that they are of suitable size considering the OCPD, installation method, VD and Zs

You could also visually inspect any cables that you can to see if the insulation has gone brittle,

then you should code them accordingly.. even if you can't find any reason to give it a code you can always note it

Assuming your 'VIR' is actually referring to VRI Vulcanised Rubber Insulation cables..

You should not forget the written guidance in Approved Document P,

Page 39 of left hand side...

These installations should be tested by a competent person at the earliest opportunity.

but otherwise left undisturbed until replacement,

as they are beyond their normally safe working life! ;)

I have always used VIR too. After all what to ex-builders know about electrics? If they had known more, I'm sure Part P would have been larger than just look at another doc :p .

Everyone I worked with called it VIR , then it magically changed to VRI . Actually used it when an appo. ,firm was using up old stock , a doddle to draw into conduit as it was waxed.

I think it all depends what sort of life its had if its been used it probably will have perished at the ends if its had very small loads it may be ok but personally as SL says really its had its life and probably requires rewiring.

I was at a property today where i noticed this Vulcanised rubber cable and I did suggest a rewire of those circuits as to the problem with the insulation being so brittle with age. customer is now thinking about it.

Way past its sell by date. When this was used there was no requirement for earth on the lighting circuit either... Sometimes it was wired ion conduit and the earth picked up from that. The IR readings should tell all but I would recommend rewire just based on the fact its approx 60 yrs old ++!

Dunx

Way past its sell by date. When this was used there was no requirement for earth on the lighting circuit either... Sometimes it was wired ion conduit and the earth picked up from that. The IR readings should tell all but I would recommend rewire just based on the fact its approx 60 yrs old ++!Dunx
OH yes,, definately recommend a rewire of the circuits

Rewire and get rid of it.

Just rewired lighting circuits of a house, Insulation tests were giving an acceptable but not great result on the PIR. Up in loft at JB (a limitation on the PIR), there were bare wires poking out at lovely right angles all screwed to a joist. Air is a very good insulator so be careful if the reading is ok.

Customer agreed to rewire asap when I showed him the rubber falling off his hallway switch wires.

it'll be fine,

done a PIR a while back and the lead sheathed cables were just honky dory,

I didnt even code them! :)

gawd, I hate them even more than VIR,,,,,,, GGGGGRRRRRRRR, at least you can show customer the vir crumbling, but lead, oh no, cos its all happening inside where they cant see!!!!!!!!!!!

headbang

Are people so hard up they can't afford a rewire cables that have been around some for more than 80 years really need replacing and it keeps us all in work.

If the existing VIR cable passes all the tests then it can stay. However here in NZ, houses were wired up with 10mm2 VIR mains. I recently carried out an inspection of a house after it had been re-wired. The sparky had re-wired everything except the old VIR 10mm2 mains, which were running through the roof cavity from the point of entry to the main switch located in the combined meter/switchboard. When I asked him why he had not replace the old mains, he replied that they still comply and he wanted to save his customer some money. I had to point out that the Maximum demand of the house had increased since the house was first built and given the ambient temperature of the roof cavity, the old mains were only good for about 30 Amps. And the pole fuse was rated at 80 amps.