Opinions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
Just had a thought as to maybe I'm doing something the wrong way round.

So say for example your doing work in a bathroom with an existing 16th ed board. No room on RCD side, so you change the B6 for an RCBO. Now I'd be filling out an MWC for the bathroom lights, but shouldn't I really be filling out an EIC as its disconnecting and re-energising a circuit so to speak.

sellers,

I would say EIC because you are changing the charateristics of the protective device more than anything else.

Paul

As long as characterisics are the same ie b6 a MWC will be adequate.
I was thinking along these lines, still a b6 with rcd protection.

Yep . I agree with Paul......that is the generally accepted way of certificating the job.

i am with nic, and they say eic so thats what i do, does it vary between sceam providers?

So say you put 4 downlighters in the bathroom, change the MCB to an RCBO and then you inherit any problems with any of the other peices of equipment on that entire circuit? Sometimes I think we get too involved, be it the correct way or not.

sellers,

NOT necessarily, you state the limits of your EIC on the EIC.

Replacement of 4 downlighters and replacement of CPD.

Thus the EIC is ONLY for the repalcement of the downlighters and the CPD.

It does NOT cover any other items in the circuit.

Paul

its a ball ach, but you could just rcd the bathroom lights although i have seen long threads arguing weather you have to do the whole circuit

Good point Paul.

It gets on my nerves things like this, like doing CU changes, your there to make the installation safer. I hate CU changes, I'm going to one tomorrow, 3 x 2 way wylex rewireable fuse boxes. Lights have no earth in, so explained to customer I can re-wire, fit class 2, or leave that 2way box alone and keep lights as they were. Now we all know it would be a lot safer in the new dual rcd CU.

And Bathroom fitters usually install any random set of lights from D.I.Y suppliers......no upgrading....no certs....etc........But thats a whole new discussion with no satisfactory solution at present isnt it ?

Good point Paul. It gets on my nerves things like this, like doing CU changes, your there to make the installation safer. I hate CU changes, I'm going to one tomorrow, 3 x 2 way wylex rewireable fuse boxes. Lights have no earth in, so explained to customer I can re-wire, fit class 2, or leave that 2way box alone and keep lights as they were. Now we all know it would be a lot safer in the new dual rcd CU.
Have had 6 CU changes in the last month, all with no CPC's in light fittings. Clients refuse to have circuit rewired. BPG followed, warning notice on CU. Can't do no more!