Organ Donation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good post Miss Sweden, a subject I am very passionate about. My husband and I have both had donor cards for ever and my 11 year old daughter got her donor card last week after we talked about organ donation and she couldn't believe that such a wonderful thing is possible and that not everyone does it.

We're also pretty keen on giving blood and I think that's something else more people should do. I'm not great with needles, but not many people are, and I don't ever want to be someone who is happy to take from a system but not give into it.

Haemo dialysis is an area that I am quite involved in!

I undertake half of the HHD installs for the local health trust that covers 1/3 of Wales approx.

As far as I know I am on the donor register, as is Mrs SW.

We will now check, however, IIRC Wales is going onto a presumed consent status anyway.

However, in the event, we both know the others feelings so donation would be a given.

Thus I get to meet many patients on both dialysis and having had transplants.

Please remember though, no matter how helpful a transplant is it's not a cure, it is a life changing op and is such a benefit you would not believe, however, it is just another form of treatment.

There is no cure unfortunately, until we can restart the patients original kidneys.

I have some pics somewhere of the diagnostic screens of a dialysis machine, they show all the internal treatment circuits and the sensors etc.

I'll start a new thread though.

misssweden, well done for starting this even though it is in sad circumstances.

I suggest your friend suggests that her family discuss home dialysis, perhaps even nocturnal dialysis, these are also life changing for the patient, if her dad was well enough for a transplant then he is almost certainly well enough for HHD.

There are other things to consider, however, it may be worth a thought.
Thank you Sidewinder :) I didn't even realize that there is a possibility of having dialysis at home. I will definately mention it to her, as apparently the doctor has told her that he is gonna need a year to recover before another transplant can be considered, so it would be more convenient for him to be able to have home dialysis.

And you are right about what you say that a transplant isn't a cure, but it's a treatment that would make an incredible difference. But he would have to be on some kind of medication for the rest of his life, wouldn't he? :(

Yes he would, anti-rejection drugs etc.

I'll go off & start a new thread in here now with some HHD pics of the last job we did & the machine screen.

Good post Miss Sweden, a subject I am very passionate about. My husband and I have both had donor cards for ever and my 11 year old daughter got her donor card last week after we talked about organ donation and she couldn't believe that such a wonderful thing is possible and that not everyone does it.

We're also pretty keen on giving blood and I think that's something else more people should do. I'm not great with needles, but not many people are, and I don't ever want to be someone who is happy to take from a system but not give into it.
Cheers Ali. I would quite like to give blood, but I have no idea how to go about it. Like you I'm not a big fan of needles (unless I gain another tattoo or piercing from it), but it would be for a good cause so I'd just have get over it.

I used to give blood regularly, as I think most of the motorcycle racing community do, [they understand they could be making a withdrawal at any time I suppose]

but recently I havent been able to due to various circumstances,

Are there any criterias you have to fulfil to be able to give blood? Apart from the obvious no HIV/aids, hepatitis etc.

Apparently if you have had a blood transfusion in the past, you can't give blood. I got this nugget of info from a friend who's 15 year old daughter just had to have her spleen removed.

Andy Guinness
So once you have used the system you can't give anything back. That's a bit annoying, but there's probably a good reason for it.

I remember signing up years ago for Organ Donation but like many lost my card in the midst of being a teenager!

Due to medical issues there are certain organs that im unable to donate,  as to the same with blood  primarily due to having numerous tattoo's within a certain time frame but will be able t continue blood donation after another 12 months has past!

I have a relative whom is a Type 1 Diabetic and is very ill at the moment on dialysis, and theyve been turned down for any kind of transplant due to the fact she is diabetic.  They are now considering her for the Home Dialysis as the nearest hospital to where she lives is just over 45 miles and she doesnt drive, unfortunatly she is in scotland so its not as if one of us can take her :(   and just to add to things her husband whom is about to turn 95 unfortunatly suffered with a stroke just 3 weeks ago and aparantly he repeatedly tells the nurses when he (in his words) snuffs it,  his organs are to be given a new loving warm home as he doesnt want them in the ground rotting!

Apparently if you have had a blood transfusion in the past, you can't give blood. I got this nugget of info from a friend who's 15 year old daughter just had to have her spleen removed.

Andy Guinness
Not entirely true. I had a really bad motorcycle accident in the 80's and had to be given 11 pints of blood. I was keen to give it back and started to do so as soon as I was well enough and donated something like 28 pints. Then they decided, quite recently I think, that anyone who has had a transfusion between 1980 and 1996 can no longer give blood. However, some people who are in a high risk lifestyle (in terms of HIV etc etc) think its their God given right to donate blood and are fighting to have those particular rules changed, which I think is ridiculous.

Latest posts