Orientation chart?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torbrowser

Reaction score
Is there a guide available to calculate the generation from easterly and western orientated roofs.?

I have got a job to calculate and the orientation of the roof is 240 deg south west, or 60 deg off south.
My MCS charts only go as far as 45 deg off south.

Reason for asking is i might end up putting panels on either side of the roof to catch morning (east) sun and then noon and evening (west) sun the rest of the day.
Is there anything out there that might be worth buying or downloading

Cheers
Jack.

Are there any up to date charts available that cover orientation up to 120 deg, my charts only go to 45 deg.
Also, are there any calculators that can work out generation when over-paneling a system.
Been looking can't seem to find anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a guide available to calculate the generation from easterly and western orientated roofs.?

I have got a job to calculate and the orientation of the roof is 240 deg south west, or 60 deg off south.
My MCS charts only go as far as 45 deg off south.

Reason for asking is i might end up putting panels on either side of the roof to catch morning (east) sun and then noon and evening (west) sun the rest of the day.
Is there anything out there that might be worth buying or downloading

Cheers
Jack.
Speaking from experience east/west installs can be a problem if you use an inverter with a single MPPT. During the solar year a problem arises when the inclination of the sun causes the east panels to reduce in power but not sufficiently to allow the panels reverse connected diode(s) to conduct as if they had been shaded. The effect is to reduce the west panel’s ability to generate. The problem goes away when a dual MPPT inverter is used.

Speaking from experience east/west installs can be a problem if you use an inverter with a single MPPT. During the solar year a problem arises when the inclination of the sun causes the east panels to reduce in power but not sufficiently to allow the panels reverse connected diode(s) to conduct as if they had been shaded. The effect is to reduce the west panel’s ability to generate. The problem goes away when a dual MPPT inverter is used.
I fully agree with you. When using a string inverter (regardless of the number of string), there is a minimum requirement in order to ensure inverter will kick off converting the electricity.

There are simple formula. I posted a thread about it but here is the direct link

https://solardesignguide.com/calculating-string-size/
It is very important to understand this requirement (there is also a maximum number of panels per string too) as otherwise your system will underform.

@torbrowser let us know how you get on

Latest posts