outside wall light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve 2828

Reaction score
Does a new outside wall light need to be protected by an rcd and does it have to be switched .is it possible to run it on a 6amp breaker from the consumer unit to the outside fitting.would be grateful for any advice

Does an outside light on an exterior wall of the property need to be protected by an rcd or can I supply the light by a 6amp mcb from the consumer unit using 1.5mm t&e cable to the outside light any help would be appreciated.

Yes it is a new circuit that will be run I plastic trunking from fuse board in garage across ceiling through the wall to light fitting.

it needs RCD protection
Why would that be Matt??

Steve,

I have a few questions first.

1. What is the installation type (TNC-S, TNS or TT)?

2. Is the Earth up to standard?

3. Is the equipotential bonding up to standard?

4. What is the current CU like, are there any spare ways?

I'm guessing you are doing this work in England? If so Part P applies so it may be better to make an addition to an existing circuit rather than adding a new circuit.

RCD protection would need to be put in place if it is a new circuit. does'nt it
There is no regulation stating that new circuits must have RCD protection. Things that do require RCD protection include; Socket outlets used by unskilled persons, Cables buried in walls without other means of protection or greater depth. Circuits on TT installation where disconnection times cannot be met. Accessories which manufactures instructions state they need RCD protection. But new circuits do not. This is another myth within the industry and one of the dangers of internet forums where anyone can say something is a fact without any backup from regulations or their peer group.

Doc H.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:26 ----------

Does an outside light on an exterior wall of the property need to be protected by an rcd or can I supply the light by a 6amp mcb from the consumer unit using 1.5mm t&e cable to the outside light any help would be appreciated.
Yes it is a new circuit that will be run I plastic trunking from fuse board in garage across ceiling through the wall to light fitting.
From the description you have given; your cables will be run on the surface, in either trunking or conduit, there will be no cables crossing the garden and the fixture will be on the outside wall with the cable terminating at the light, (No external junction boxes). As such there is no need for either RCD protection or LABC notification. It can be good practice to supply all external accessories via a suitably positioned double pole isolating switch, such that in the event of mechanical damage or water damage all live conductors can be easily isolated. This is not a regulation though.

Note: When viewing forum answers, all members have some green reputation dots on the top right of their posts and a count of any likes received. This can often be a good indication of the quality and accuracy of their posts as monitored and acknowledged by other members. (Red dots are negative points).

Doc H.

There is no regulation stating that new circuits must have RCD protection. Things that do require RCD protection include; Socket outlets used by unskilled persons, Cables buried in walls without other means of protection or greater depth. Circuits on TT installation where disconnection times cannot be met. Accessories which manufactures instructions state they need RCD protection. But new circuits do not. This is another myth within the industry and one of the dangers of internet forums where anyone can say something is a fact without any backup from regulations or their peer group.Doc H.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:26 ----------

From the description you have given; your cables will be run on the surface, in either trunking or conduit, there will be no cables crossing the garden and the fixture will be on the outside wall with the cable terminating at the light, (No external junction boxes). As such there is no need for either RCD protection or LABC notification. It can be good practice to supply all external accessories via a suitably positioned double pole isolating switch, such that in the event of mechanical damage or water damage all live conductors can be easily isolated. This is not a regulation though.

Note: When viewing forum answers, all members have some green reputation dots on the top right of their posts and a count of any likes received. This can often be a good indication of the quality and accuracy of their posts as monitored and acknowledged by other members. (Red dots are negative points).

Doc H.
If he ran a new circuit it would need LABC notification though;) that's why I sugggested it as an addition to an existing one.

Excellent post though Doc

If he ran a new circuit it would need LABC notification though;) that's why I sugggested it as an addition to an existing one.Excellent post though Doc
Connect it into an existing lighting circuit MCB then it is not a new circuit :innocent :innocent:innocent

It is a tnc-s system and the earth and bonding are upto standard it is an mem board about 12 years old with some circuits protected by an rcd but not the lighting

Put a 2 way garage board in like matt said earlier did this last week henley blocked off meter tails it was much easier than taking from an existing circuit I didn't use a switch as they didn't want a switch. I also notified the job happy days