outside wall light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put a 2 way garage board in like matt said earlier did this last week henley blocked off meter tails it was much easier than taking from an existing circuit I didn't use a switch as they didn't want a switch. I also notified the job happy days
Why make unnecessary expense and work, unless you are just tying to justify getting more money off the customer? An additional 2way board and henley blocks is sledge hammer to crack and nut for one outside light. Or was this generating jobs for assessment?

Doc H.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:18 ----------

It is a tnc-s system and the earth and bonding are upto standard it is an mem board about 12 years old with some circuits protected by an rcd but not the lighting
See post 14, I cannot see any essential need for an RCD in this particular case, as NozSpark & Septiclecky say join it to an existing lighting circuit. Far easier then isolating the tails to fit Henley's and new 2way boards! The homeowner could quite legally do the job themselves just tapping off an existing circuit.

Doc H.

All the lighting circuits were doubled up to begin with and to treble the mcb up IMHO is rough

I did 2 lights not 1 too

Why make unnecessary expense and work, unless you are just tying to justify getting more money off the customer? An additional 2way board and henley blocks is sledge hammer to crack and nut for one outside light. Or was this generating jobs for assessment?Doc H.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:18 ----------

See post 14, I cannot see any essential need for an RCD in this particular case, as NozSpark & Septiclecky say join it to an existing lighting circuit. Far easier then isolating the tails to fit Henley's and new 2way boards! The homeowner could quite legally do the job themselves just tapping off an existing circuit.Doc H.
And when they make a mess of it you can come back and fix itROTFWLROTFWLROTFWLROTFWLROTFWL

Yes I am but only recently qualified and not a lot of experience
All the lighting circuits were doubled up to begin with and to treble the mcb up IMHO is roughI did 2 lights not 1 too
Some of this thread illustrates a difficulties with forums, where one member has preferences or practices they always do, although other methods are also acceptable and compliant with BS7671. A new inexperience member asks a question and some members can encourage additional non essential work. Possibly giving the impression that certain things must be done when carrying out a very simple alteration. In these times when the economy is slow, customers are looking for value for money and electricians are trying to win jobs over their competitors, as a general rule suggesting additional work is not beneficial to the OP or the customer.

As a point of note for Steve2828, Three conductors in one termination point is a normal acceptable practice. A ring final with a spur off a socket outlet has 3 x 2.5mm2 in each termination, A traditional round 4 terminal 20A junction box is designed to have 4 x 1.5mm2 in each termination and the 3 terminal 30A junction box is also designed to have 3 x 2.5mm2 in each termination. An MCB is another termination point where it is permissible to branch a circuit from. AlphaSpark prefers not to use this method, but other electricians may also consider multiple small 2-way boards, branched from Henley's poor practice in the way that AlphaSpark considers 3 wires in an MCB rough.

The phrase, "There is more than one way to skin a cat" comes to mind and electricians regularly need the ability to asses the benefits of different methods of installing a circuit or alteration taking into account; Cost, Time, Compliance, Accessibility, Appearance etc.. There has been some good discussion on this thread, hopefully the OP will have seen various options and understand what legal and compliance issues he needs to consider.

Doc H.

Im on about 6 amp mcbs here every time I answer your question u look for a way round it

Ding ding round 7 is this a boxing match I tell you what I wont answer any more questions and leave it to all the egomaniacs out there BRUVVA

Just re read docs last post apologise for previous I thought you were having another pop @ me I misread it match finished

I got pulled on this a while back. I did a job for an old lady she want a new light fitting outside her front door, so the cu was a few metres away opened it up and there's no spare way so connected to the down stair lights job done.

Anyway a few months later I get a call from her again saying shes having more work done and the spark says what I have done is wrong and that I shouldn't have double it up, I told her that he's trying to make more work and for him to give me a ring and explain what is wrong with what I did.

He never did get intouch and not heard anything since, I could understand if the light was up stairs and I fitted it to a downstairs mcb.

But I can't see a problem with what I did

Cheers chaps you have given me a good range of ways to complete the job i appreciate all your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got pulled on this a while back. I did a job for an old lady she want a new light fitting outside her front door, so the cu was a few metres away opened it up and there's no spare way so connected to the down stair lights job done. Anyway a few months later I get a call from her again saying shes having more work done and the spark says what I have done is wrong and that I shouldn't have double it up, I told her that he's trying to make more work and for him to give me a ring and explain what is wrong with what I did.

He never did get intouch and not heard anything since, I could understand if the light was up stairs and I fitted it to a downstairs mcb.

But I can't see a problem with what I did
Providing any persons work is electrically safe, appropriately tested and documented and does not directly contravene BS7671 or any building regulations and meets the clients requirements then there are no issues to worry about.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator: