P day draws near

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My thoughts on this (as a consumer) would be a re-wire should be mandatory. Even if this counted as both jobs. The electrician is deemed competent by passing assessment that he can do this so passing it should be no issue. You can demonstrate your workmanship, from planning, design to installation and testing. Shouldn't be any less.

I am sure I could add a radial for a cooker or add a few extra sockets (in fact I have, legally!) it's not that hard and doesn't prove you are a competent spark IMO. I couldn't wire a house from scratch or change a consumer unit.

I would liken it to getting a driving licence by driving around the test centre car park for 5 minutes!

My thoughts on this (as a consumer) would be a re-wire should be mandatory. Even if this counted as both jobs. The electrician is deemed competent by passing assessment that he can do this so passing it should be no issue. You can demonstrate your workmanship, from planning, design to installation and testing. Shouldn't be any less.
I suppose I agree to a point... but when you're new to the game it's not that easy. I've only been trading a year or so, and have only done one re-wire and a couple of CCUs, other than it's just been little bits, so I don't know that I could actually show them one (it depends on customer availability and the fact that the jobs need to be local to your registered address etc).

I'm just thinking myself lucky that I've had a couple of jobs recently with full new circuits and that the in-laws house needs rewiring! Although that is relying upon a lack of actual paid work, so may take some time to complete (I hope!!)

Well, spoke to NIC this am and they said that a new circuit is sufficient but that if it is 'easy' then the assessor may ask for something else to see as well. I got told that ultimately he makes the decision and that if he wanted more than a simple radial as a major job then he could ask for it or fail you. I argued that he cannot because in their literature they state that a new circuit complies and it doesn't give specifics as to what it does or how complicated it is. He then went back to reading parrot fashion what the gumpf says and said it is up to meheadbang.

So, for the sake of it I am now going to change my own C/U which narks me cos it is only 3 years old and I don't have the time but I don't want to get pulled by the assessor for 'playing the system'.

do u have a split board, could u put in some rcbo and test the circuit. thats major work

from what i find new circuits are easy, its adding to others old work which i find most challenging,

like noz said u dont want to pay for revisit

Well that's over with and it really wasn't bad at all. A couple of non-conformaties on the existing part of the installation (mainly due to crap workmanship by a previous electrician) - joints in non-accessable locations and a spur of a spur. Not wishing to rip apart my kitchen he recommended de-rating the circuits (a ring from 32 to 20 and a radial from 32 to 20). Not a problem to do this. The other non-conformaty was the IP integrity of my main isolator in the cut out - also easy to sort.

Apart from my brain taking a lunch break when trying to do a ring main test it all went well. Got extra points for sorting out my borrowed neutral properly and getting nearly all of the questions right first time (drilling joists, safe zones, socket heights etc.)

Well that's over with and it really wasn't bad at all. A couple of non-conformaties on the existing part of the installation (mainly due to crap workmanship by a previous electrician) - joints in non-accessable locations and a spur of a spur. Not wishing to rip apart my kitchen he recommended de-rating the circuits (a ring from 32 to 20 and a radial from 32 to 20). Not a problem to do this. The other non-conformaty was the IP integrity of my main isolator in the cut out - also easy to sort.Apart from my brain taking a lunch break when trying to do a ring main test it all went well. Got extra points for sorting out my borrowed neutral properly and getting nearly all of the questions right first time (drilling joists, safe zones, socket heights etc.)
Congratulations! Applaud Smiley

Beer? Guinness

Well that's over with and it really wasn't bad at all. A couple of non-conformaties on the existing part of the installation (mainly due to crap workmanship by a previous electrician) - joints in non-accessable locations and a spur of a spur. Not wishing to rip apart my kitchen he recommended de-rating the circuits (a ring from 32 to 20 and a radial from 32 to 20). Not a problem to do this. The other non-conformaty was the IP integrity of my main isolator in the cut out - also easy to sort.Apart from my brain taking a lunch break when trying to do a ring main test it all went well. Got extra points for sorting out my borrowed neutral properly and getting nearly all of the questions right first time (drilling joists, safe zones, socket heights etc.)
Well done! Hooray!

Applaud Smiley