Part B

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve100

Reaction score
I know that in line with part b of the building regs when rewiring a house you need to install smoke alarms upstairs and down and a heat detector in the kitchen. However what I can not seem to find is anything to this fact in BS7671 or the OSG. I have seen it in the red OSG, but nothing in the current green one. Can anyone please tell me if it is mentioned anywhere in the current BS7671 or OSG? Thxs

Is the house undergoing alot of major renovations? ie walls coming down/being put up? if so then smoke and heat detectors do apparently need to be installed under Building Regulations. Remember that Building Regulations are the law, BS 7161 is not.

Andy Guinness

I have had a quick read of part b and it only seems to state the requirements for smoke and heat detectors for new builds. So I prosume then that for a rewire you wouldnt need to install them? But everybody I ha e spoken to says that you do? I appreciate that part b is law, but was wandering if there is any reference to part b made in the current versions of the regs or OSG, because I could find it? However in the old red OSG it does make reference to part b.

I was always under the impression that even on a rewire you had to fit smokes in the escape routes, but I couldnt definitively state you MUST, I do.

its solely the issue of needing a heat in the kitchen I was querying.

you do not need to install them on a re-wire, but you may if there are more works being done (refurb, extension etc)

7671 only covers the wiring if you install thm, it does not state they need to be installed

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the architect on the job I am doing at present which is a garage conversion and kitchen refit, Part of the utility is now the kitchen and half the garage is the new utility. The two existing smokes 1 up 1 down are enough. My argument is if there is a fire in the new utility half the house will be on fire before the one in the hall detects the smoke. Strange really when he is more worried about the new boiler  so a battery CO alarm is to be installed.  If it were my house I certainly would put one in the utility. I was always under the impression you should put alarms in where fires are likely to start.

This does seem to be a very grey area as it depends on who you speak to as to whether you do or don't need detectors!!

I think it is down to you to design it. I have actually put cables in before the tacking so if the building inspector fails the job. I can put the extra smoke and heat in without to much work.