Part P 6Th April 2013

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skillsassessor

Reaction score
Hi All,

Now the new Approved Document Part P is in force it states notifiable works can be certificated by a" Registered third party certifier". Does anyone have any clarity on what this actually means i.e can a part P registered electrician now sign off say his mates or another electricians  work ( if everthing tests out OK ) or do you have to be "registered" with say the NICEIC as a "third party certifier" and pay additional enrollment fee's and be assessed on-site.

Thank you

Not give it much thought really, not really sure it's something we would be interested in.

I think councils charged over £100 so it's got to equal or more than they charged.

Hi All,

Now the new Approved Document Part P is in force it states notifiable works can be certificated by a" Registered third party certifier". Does anyone have any clarity on what this actually means i.e can a part P registered electrician now sign off say his mates or another electricians  work ( if everthing tests out OK ) or do you have to be "registered" with say the NICEIC as a "third party certifier" and pay additional enrollment fee's and be assessed on-site.

Thank you
Not round 'ere! ;)

I know a guy at a training centre and he told me about needing a module from new building regs/domestic installer course.

So if you have NVQ level 3 AND 2394 & 2395 then you can do a module (1 days work) from the new 200 hour domestic installer course and then you will have the golden ticket to enable you to sign off other peoples work

I think EAL have info on this

From what I've read ,  existing  Scam Victims can now certify other sparks work . 

Birmingham charged around £240  IIRC  . 

Personally I'm too bothered about this , other than my partner's jobs .

Just wondering what others are thinking , I'd guess it will slow down new memberships of NICCY, ECA etc.

Steve , I was wondering what others were thinking about this ,  looking forward to a career in Testing & passing off other people's work or not .

What I didn't notice was , do we issue an installation Cert  with Installer's name in a box and Inspector's name seperate.  or stick with EICR s? 

The way I understand it is, they certify the work they have done, you check the installation over a bit like your annual assessment procedure, notify on-line, charge £180 and say thanks. :) :)

The way I understand it is, they certify the work they have done, you check the installation over a bit like your annual assessment procedure, notify on-line, charge £180 and say thanks. :) :)
I wonder who ultimately carries the can if it all goes Holly Willoghby?....the notifier or the original installer?

I would need a lot of clarification. AND good coin before I got involved ....

Just covering my back door......

Very good point.

I'm not keen on the whole idea to be honest.

I would say the person who certifies the work, because Part P notification is just that, a notification that work has been completed that is notifiable, which they cannot do.

As you say , Steve,  who is responsible ? 

The ELECSA cert says "  ........ said work for which I have been responsible..........is in accordance with BS7671 etc".

An element of "    Why should we bother too much ..we're not signing it off "  would certainly arise within the trade  I would imagine. 

[quote

An element of "    Why should we bother too much ..we're not signing it off "  would certainly arise within the trade  I would imagine.

That culture already exists, it's card the Niceic!

With the larger Niceic outfits, there is usually a single person responsible for testing, he has several operatives who carry out the fictitious tests/results pass them to Him on a piece of paper for him to fill out test certificate and sign his name too. Without having made a check on the results given to him. Do the individuals really care what results are given? Providing the figures they give are within reg requirements what do they care?

So how does that differ to the new part p proposal? Truth is it doesn't, could that be because the Niceic have their foot in the door with part p fiasco??

Just an observation having subbed to many various Niceic outfits, not saying that it is a policy used in every Nic outfit, but limited testing appears to be contagious these days.

Edit: missed a bit!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts