Part P,....going around in circles here

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loads of work done over past 10 /15 years

new kitchen

extension

dormer

bathroom

shower room

3036 board

not an RCD in sight

paperwork?........errrrrr no!!

there is as much paperwork,as there is bonding to the gas and water  :facepalm:

10 to 15 years pre dated Part P ....... and as for kitchens and bathrooms, from what I see about 50% of installers don't give a txss about getting a sparky to do it properly.......let alone worry about certs and notifications .....

So if you have evidence of non compliance of part p you are directing this information to whom? DCLG, scams, labc??

otherwise how is ever going to improve? 

Or do we hide behind the facade that it's the home owners responsibility? 

So if you have evidence of non compliance of part p you are directing this information to whom? DCLG, scams, labc??

otherwise how is ever going to improve? 

Or do we hide behind the facade that it's the home owners responsibility? 

to your first point - just stating a fact. Most recent example, bathroom fitter "moving" a bathroom and building a new wall - new wall has cables running in it at less than 50mm from the surface. The affected circuits do not have RCD protection. I asked the fitter how he was planning on complying with the building and electrical regs .... no answer, Job is now complete and no changes have been made to the fuseboard........

2nd point - I disagree with this - if the "competent" person is aware of Part P (which they should be), non disclosure to a home owner, who may well be completely oblivious isn't very professional unless you are a cow boy.

So I'll ask again, to whom did you report the facts? 

And I totally agree with you on my second point, but if we as competent professionals do not have an outlet to which to report our findings how do we ever hope that it will improve beyond the farce that it currently is? 

So I'll ask again, to whom did you report the facts? 

And I totally agree with you on my second point, but if we as competent professionals do not have an outlet to which to report our findings how do we ever hope that it will improve beyond the farce that it currently is? 

I now understand your first point - hum good question - I haven't as yet......... have you got the phone number for the Part "X" police? lol

Maybe we should be emailing the local LABC's with non compliance - bet they would like that NOT.

On a slightly related topic, a mates daughter is trying to buy a house. Her solicitor has concluded that structural work has been done but the work hasn't been signed off by LABC ...... and the home owner isn't cooperating.......

Last edited by a moderator:
But apart from the date and the description of the works - what else would you want to know?

i.e. 6th Oct 2014 - new fuseboard and circuits added .....

There isn't any more I need to know I was curious to know what information they do hold.

I'm still convinced that I read that someone had difficulties retrieving this information from their LABC and were told to look it up on the previously mentioned website (I can't find one for the other scams).

Loads of work done over past 10 /15 years

new kitchen

extension

dormer

bathroom

shower room

3036 board

not an RCD in sight

paperwork?........errrrrr no!!

there is as much paperwork,as there is bonding to the gas and water  :facepalm:

Victorian flat completely re done, absolutely everything, new electric shower etc etc, Metal rewirable wylex, green sleeves and no bonding.

Did the customer give a fudge? No. Only asked if it was okay to rent it like this... :redcard

Victorian flat completely re done, absolutely everything, new electric shower etc etc, Metal rewirable wylex, green sleeves and no bonding.

Did the customer give a fudge? No. Only asked if it was okay to rent it like this... :redcard
And the answer almost certainly is NO when he get's the required EICR which will have a number of C1 or C2's and "unsatisfactory"

And the answer almost certainly is NO when he get's the required EICR which will have a number of C1 or C2's and "unsatisfactory"

Ahem...

http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/for-landlords/

Just gets worse...

There is no statutory obligation on landlords or agents to have professional checks carried out on the electrical system or appliances. However, under Common Law and various statutory regulations: The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, The Housing Act 2004, The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, and the Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994, both of which come under the Consumer Protection Act 1987, there is an obligation to ensure that all electrical equipment is safe. In January 2005 new legislation under Part P of the Building Regulations make it a requirement that for certain types of electrical work in dwellings, plus garages, sheds, greenhouses and outbuilding comply with the standards. This means a competent electrician must carry out the work. For DIY electrical work you must belong to one of the Government’s approved Competent Person Self-Certification schemes or submit a building notice to the local authority before doing the work. Compliance We strongly recommend that any Landlord, regardless of whether they see themselves as running a business or not, should make absolutely sure they are complying with these regulations to ensure that all electrical equipment supplied is safe.

Well up here we are ahead of the game. It IS a requirement to have an EICR on rental properties (as well as gas safe if applicable, heat, smoke and CO alarms to be mains powered etc)

Well up here we are ahead of the game. It IS a requirement to have an EICR on rental properties (as well as gas safe if applicable, heat, smoke and CO alarms to be mains powered etc)

We know, you're that far ahead that you don't need any pp-policemen and no I haven't got a stutter! 

Hi Murdoch.

"A local authority has a general duty to enforce the Building Regulations in its area and will seek to do so by informal means wherever possible. If informal enforcement does not achieve compliance with the Regulations the local authority has two formal enforcement powers which it may use in appropriate cases.

First, if a person carrying out building work contravenes the Building Regulations, the local authority may prosecute them in the Magistrates' Court where an unlimited fine may be imposed (sections 35 and 35A of the Building Act 1984). Prosecution is possible up to two years after the completion of the offending work. This action will usually be taken against the person carrying out the work (builder, installer or main contractor).

Alternatively, or in addition, the local authority may serve an enforcement notice on the building owner requiring alteration or removal of work which contravenes the regulations (section 36 of the 1984 Act). If the owner does not comply with the notice the local authority has the power to undertake the work itself and recover the costs of doing so from the owner.

A section 36 enforcement notice cannot be served on you after the expiration of 12 months from the date of completion of the building work. A local authority also cannot take enforcement action under section 36 if the work which you have carried out is in accordance with your full plans application which the authority approved or failed to reject."

So, in the case of the house your daughter wants to buy, if the work was done more than 12 months ago, who cares, it is exempt from any enforcement...

john..

Latest posts