Part P is a grey area to me...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joet1110

Reaction score
Hello, Im new here and have had a question for a long time.

I work in Electrical maintenance in a large factory so I have little knowledge of how the domestic market works. Part P was mentioned alot in college and I have a few questions...

1 - Do you need part P for special locations only?

2 - I have 2392 could I register with that or do I need 2391?

3 - When I register does that mean im part P qualified?

4 - When your part p qualified and I want to sign off a job how do I go about that ... whats the process?

5 - How much does it cost per annum to be registered?

6 - Whats the best/easiest body to get registered with?

7 - Do you even need part P or can you just be a qualified electrician with test and inspection of low voltage supples (2392) and send results off to building control?

Thanks guys!

Joe

Hello, Im new here and have had a question for a long time.I work in Electrical maintenance in a large factory so I have little knowledge of how the domestic market works. Part P was mentioned alot in college and I have a few questions...

1 - Do you need part P for special locations only?all domestic work comes under part p. but not everything needs notified

2 - I have 2392 could I register with that or do I need 2391?you dont need 2391, but you will need some qualification, including 2382

3 - When I register does that mean im part P qualified?there is no such thing is 'part p qualified'

4 - When your part p qualified and I want to sign off a job how do I go about that ... whats the process?go onto scam providers website, click new job, type address etc and your done

5 - How much does it cost per annum to be registered?depends who your with

6 - Whats the best/easiest body to get registered with?i use elecsa, but there are others. all have their benefits over the others

7 - Do you even need part P or can you just be a qualified electrician with test and inspection of low voltage supples (2392) and send results off to building control?yes, but LABC usually charge a few hundred

Hello, Im new here and have had a question for a long time.I work in Electrical maintenance in a large factory so I have little knowledge of how the domestic market works. Part P was mentioned alot in college and I have a few questions...

1 - Do you need part P for special locations only?

2 - I have 2392 could I register with that or do I need 2391?

3 - When I register does that mean im part P qualified?

4 - When your part p qualified and I want to sign off a job how do I go about that ... whats the process?

5 - How much does it cost per annum to be registered?

6 - Whats the best/easiest body to get registered with?

7 - Do you even need part P or can you just be a qualified electrician with test and inspection of low voltage supples (2392) and send results off to building control?

Thanks guys!

Joe
Part P is a building regulation, along with part A.B,C etc it is NOT an exam or a qualification it is just rules you must work to.

So to answer the question

1) You can't get part P you just have to work to it.

2) I dont know depends on the scheme.

3) There is no such thing as part P qualified (its a building reg, you abide by it or not)

4) see 3

5) about

Many thanks for your replies.

When work does not need to be notified I assume you dont have to tell the body ie. elecsa? Would test results still need to be created? Does the contractor just keep a record for himself and give a copy to the client?...Then job done?

Latest posts