part p

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madeinengland

Reaction score
i've just seen on another thread that if you've got 2330 L3 you don't need part p. is this true as i was thinking this would be my next move.

Part P is the building regulations..

A useful asset if self employed, going about Domestic electrics (for certification)..

:D

i've just seen on another thread that if you've got 2330 L3 you don't need part p. is this true as i was thinking this would be my next move.
2330 is a course. part P is a building regulation. do a quick search and youll find someone asked this exact question a few weeks ago. ill let patch feel all important and let him find it

2330 is a course. part P is a building regulation. do a quick search and youll find someone asked this exact question a few weeks ago. ill let patch feel all important and let him find it
I'm a little busy ATM. Will look later........

my tutor said that you dont need part p if you have completed level 3 2330 you can sign things off as your competent,you just need to be with a scheme like niceic or napit and insured. Not 100% sure about this though as I always hear different stories,you would think they would make things less confusing....

I think you are correct at collage i think i remember them saying if you pass your level 3 your deamed to competent enough as not to need part p anyway part p is only part of the building regulations.

I think you are correct at collage i think i remember them saying if you pass your level 3 your deamed to competent enough as not to need part p anyway part p is only part of the building regulations.
part p is only a part of the building regs that apply to anything domestic. even if you have 2330. once you have your 2330, you should not have any problem joining a scam, but your still not exempt from it.

my tutor said that you dont need part p if you have completed level 3 2330 you can sign things off as your competent,you just need to be with a scheme like niceic or napit and insured. Not 100% sure about this though as I always hear different stories,you would think they would make things less confusing....
if you want to do notifiable work, you MUST be either part p reg'd via some scam, or notify each job to LABC. there is no in between if you have your 2330. end of.

and this is the thread i was talking about earlier (post 3 onwards)

Indeed, 2330 covers part P. So if you have the levels - there is no need to do the part P course.

thanks for all your replys lads but to be honest i'm still none the wiser. andyc says you need it end of and admin says i've already covered it so there's no need. seems to be a very grey area.

yeh i know what you mean it should be clear to everyone as safety and legal issues are at stake its no joke. My tutor is actually on commitee of the ECA or something and a scheme so hes pretty clued up,and he told us that he actually went to court a while back over this as the government were saying you needed to have done part p course regardless as some MP's daughter was electrocuted by some incompetent electrical work that a tradesman did so they wanted anyone doing electrical work to have part p certification as compulsory to prevent this happening again,but my tutor and other members went to court and argued that kitchen fitters who can do 5 day course would then be more qualified to sign off work than actual electricians who have done at least 3 years in college with actual electrical expertise and that is not fair or just and they won the case so we dont have to do a part p course in addition to what we did in college as long as we have L2 & 3 2330 and are a member of a scheme.He wouldnt just make it up either hes definitley not delusional or a bulls*it merchant!

So im pretty sure that if you have level 2 & 3 2330,have joined a scheme so we comply with Part P building regs (still a cost but unavoidable its different to taking a Part P course),are insured and notify local authority of work carried out you are ok to do your own work without doing a part p course but for peace of mind I would call either NIC or ECA etc to check.

If you find out for sure, post it up what you get told,hopefully admin will make this a sticky as it is an important topic.

My tutor is actually on commitee of the ECA or something and a scheme so hes pretty clued up
My tutor works for the NICEIC and he reckons that once you've done 2330 L3 you're considered "a competent person" and can test and inspect etc. yet everyone else you talk to says 2391 2391 2391.........

it drives you mad sometimes.i've just done 3 years and could quite easily do another 3 if you did half the stuff people say you apparantly need.

My tutor works for the NICEIC and he reckons that once you've done 2330 L3 you're considered "a competent person" and can test and inspect etc. yet everyone else you talk to says 2391 2391 2391.........it drives you mad sometimes.i've just done 3 years and could quite easily do another 3 if you did half the stuff people say you apparantly need.
it seems never ending and purposely made confusing! yeh i heard the same that once u have L3 2330 you can test and inspect as a competent person. I would like to find out if thats true as well,if so what is the 2391 needed for?

i think once you have done your level 3 you can test and inspect your own installations and thats all....part p requires joining the relevant bodies or going the labc route.....our tutor said to me last week that the nic would take anyone who has done the 2330 level3 but you still have to show two jobs i.e 1,large job ( fuseboard change)2(small job changing a light fitting) :|

i think you need to be more clear with what your asking. part P is a building regulation, no way around it. but there is a 'part p course' (cant remember C&G number). this is completely different. the part p course covers what you need to know to be part p reg'd (i.e, the very basics. like how to wire a plug). 2330 covers all electrical work, so in theory, you should know enough to join a scam

it seems never ending and purposely made confusing! yeh i heard the same that once u have L3 2330 you can test and inspect as a competent person. I would like to find out if thats true as well,if so what is the 2391 needed for?
anyone can I&T providing there competent. 2330 goes into I&T, so if youve done that you should know how to test. 2391 goes into testing in much more detail. which is probably why so many fail. providing your competent, you dont need any quals, but if something went wrong and you had to prove your competent, it could be harder without the quals