Partial DIY Solar setup

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youmind

Reaction score
Hey

I'm thinking about getting solar installed.
To save some money I'd like to fit the battery myself.
I'm considering 9 x 400W panels and a 3.67KW inverter. Is this a good combo ? Is it better to oversize the inverter so I have the option to add more panels in the future?
I'll get the solar installers to do the initial install.
What's stopping me buying my own solar battery in the future and fitting it myself? They seem really easy to fit. Am I voiding warranty or do I need to be a registered electrician to do this technically ?

Thanks

Increase the inverter size to make it more useful especially as youre going to add a battery. 3.KW, switch the kettle and toaster on and youre taking power from the grid. With a bigger inverter, switch the toaster and the kettle on, the battery feeds the inverter which feeds the load.
There are some issues with your DNO regarding export if you want to export to the grid and the paperwork is different for larger inverters, they can refuse too.

You can only get VAT off the batteries if you buy them with the solar system installer. Leave them until later and you'll pay an extra 20%

Is there any VAT relief on green tech currently? I thought it had been done away with.
VAT removed for all solar panel installs from April 2022 to April 2027 (materials and labour, but has to be installed by a certified installer, can't recover VAT for a DIY install). Batteries alone are not considered green so therefore cannot be installed VAT free alone. But if installed as part of a solar system then they qualify for zero VAT.

https://electricalreview.co.uk/2022...vements-including-solar-panels-and-batteries/

VAT removed for all solar panel installs from April 2022 to April 2027 (materials and labour, but has to be installed by a certified installer, can't recover VAT for a DIY install). Batteries alone are not considered green so therefore cannot be installed VAT free alone. But if installed as part of a solar system then they qualify for zero VAT.

https://electricalreview.co.uk/2022...vements-including-solar-panels-and-batteries/
I missed that bit 😃. I left the MCS scheme when they removed the FiT, so haven't been keeping up to date.

I would not be convinced installers pass on the VAT savings on materials, you can wait up to 3 months to claim that money back from HMRC, so I used to use it as bonus money, and suspect most installers do the same.

I paid my deposit for my system the day before the VAT was removed from solar installations. I contacted my supplier, they said quite rightly they needed clarification from HMRC, 2 days later honoured the deal, as per quote less the VAT.

Latest posts