PAT testers (people, not equipment) - take note

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I`ve just had this in an email fro a company I subscribe to........

May be worth you being aware of, as I have never seen this before:

The importance of Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) and its value in identifying potentially dangerous components has been underlined by a recent incident reported by Bob Austen, owner of Pattestingman of Ramsbottom near Bury.As his company

This shows the importance of "competence" when testing and, as you say, the importance of actually carrying out testing.

There is much concern about this type of thing. The ESC has carried articles in Switched on about non-compliant accessories over recent months.

The article also shows how easy it is for rogue items to get into the supply chain as chances are this company bought them in good faith from a sub supplier.

I have never come across any of these plugs but will be keeping an eye out for them in future.

This case shows the importance of regular Portable Appliance Testing, performed by a qualified person using the right test equipment
that's always confused me not using competent people, where i work the fella doesn't have a clue about pat testing just happily sticks stickers everywhere, he never does any good visual check's/fuse ratings/grips, he was trying to test a laptop ROTFWL it's low voltage after the transformer oh and plastic :> and if theres a fault in the skip it goes,no attempt to fix it,, i'd be scared to let him near the I.T equiptment,

Hi Just made up a set of 110v to 3 pin plug BS1363 and the other lead being 110v to Kettle type which purchased from eBay 110v. Carried out a check on my Pat Tester and could not get continuity from the earth. You never guess what i too also have a 3 pin plug with the earth pin sleeved.

Many thanks for this forum / thread i would never picked that one up in a million years.

Wow! Have just gone around my house pulling out half the plugs! Fortunately none with a 1/2 sleeved earth, a few with a full sleeved earth for double insulated items, but shall definitely check them all.

Thanks KME.

This just illustrates the importance of PAT testing. In this case the PAT test identified the faulty leads and removed them from service. Likewise it would (should) identify any of those illegal unfused 13A plugs floating about as well.

On my last PAT testing job, I found 3 IEC leads that all failed on excessively high earth continuity. There was an earth connection but the resistance was too high, so they were failed and replaced.

The check that i would do is see by a continuity test, if the computer case is connected to the earth by using the m3.5 screws to test. It may or may not be found that it is the inside of the seward tester socket that does not give good connection but a socket does.

Just worth checking

The check that i would do is see by a continuity test, if the computer case is connected to the earth by using the m3.5 screws to test. It may or may not be found that it is the inside of the seward tester socket that does not give good connection but a socket does.Just worth checking
I think the point is that if the shrouded earth pin does not make good connection in the testers socket, then you can't GUARANTEE it will make good connection with every single socket that you plug it into.

While it might make connection and be okay with some (which your test would verify) you could not guarantee if you moved that plug into a different make of 13A socket that it would still make good connection.

Hence they should be failed and removed from service.

Wow! Have just gone around my house pulling out half the plugs! Fortunately none with a 1/2 sleeved earth, a few with a full sleeved earth for double insulated items, but shall definitely check them all.Thanks KME.
ive just exactly the same :^O

Hi Guys

I carried out further testing on this plug of mine, using a twin socket. The earth cable stripped back to allow me to connect to both the earth cable from the plug and a croc clip to the socket (were you would normally connect your cpc from the ring/radial.)

all dead tests on the bench. I then push the plug in slowly at first getting a reading, and then at about 5mm or so from being completey located i didnot get a continunity reading, which goes to show that the sheeving is the issue, as the socket that i used uses a contact quiet close to the front surface of the socket (have a look on any socket), which became disconnected from the earthing arrangment. give it a go and see for yourselves.

I contacted the supplier from eBay where i purchased this from and insisted / advised that he should not sell these products. At first he suggested that if i was not happy then he woul dgive me a refund!!!!!!

I then contacted them again (twice) and told them that these were dangerous and read the riot act to him, and he was then going to not sell any more and return the rest to his supplier.

I bet that really happened?. But if it did, i might of stopped somebody getting injured. so a bit of a result here i think.

I still have the plug and have posted it on a couple of other forums (PAT sites) and use it to keep people guessing "what wrong with it?"

cheers

Steve