pat testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob48

Reaction score
Im reading up on pat testing and theres a bit where it says while resistance testing "CONNECT PHASE AND NEUTRAL "together

is there a specific tool that is designed for this? or can you just use long crocodile clips with my multi tester?

any help appreciated guys and thanks in advance

Rob

what scenario would you need to do that

i do some pat testing but i just plug the plug into my tester....

or am i missing something

what scenario would you need to do thati do some pat testing but i just plug the plug into my tester....

or am i missing something
Im using or intend using a multi meter instead of actual pat tester

a "multi meter" is wholey inappropriate for PAT testing. That is if you mean a general purpose volt / amp / ohm meter of the sort used in electronics. They test ohms at low voltage and low current so won't give accurate readings.

Or do you mean a proper electricians insulation / continuity tester. That WILL work for PAT testing, because it does it's resistance (earth continuity) testing at a decent current, and applies a high voltage when doing insulation testing.

If regularly doing PAT testing, then get a dedicated PAT tester. Otherwise for a one off, if you have a proper insulation / continuity tester, then just make up an adaptor from a 13A socket to plug into the tester.

You can also hire a proper PAT meter....

If you have a lot of stuff to test it may be financially viable to pay for itself in saved time.

:C

Why do people call this Portable appliance testing testing ?Just because 'everyone' does this, does it make it right ?
Would you be happier if we called it pitapat instead? :slap