Pat Testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali

Reaction score
I have a friend who is in a bit of a panic to get 3 items of equipment PAT tested. The last time I did any PAT testing was at least a million years ago, with a nice machine that did it all for me.

Now I don't have a PAT testing machine so I thought I'd do a thorough visual inspection, then an IR test, and earth continuity from plug to outer casing of the equipment (if it's class 1) with my trusty Megger MFT. Are there any other tests I should be doing?

The stupidity of it is that all the equipment is brand new, but the place she wants to take it won't budge on the "it must be PAT tested" line.

Many thanks,

Ali

Not sure if this helps or not:

Electrical tests

Electrical testing of portable equipment will involve the following:

• (i) Earth bond continuity tests
  • (ii) Insulation resistance testing
  • (iii) Functional checks

(a) Earth Bond Test (Class 1 equipment only):

Readings should show less than 0.1+R ohms (where R is the resistance of the lead)

Tested at a current of 1.5 times the rating of the fuse and no greater than 25A for a period of between 5 and 20 seconds or with a short-circuit test current within the range 20mA to 200mA.

(B) Insulation Resistance Test:

The applied test voltage should be approximately 500 Vdc

• Class 1 heating equipment < 3kW 0.3M ohms
  • Class 1 All other equipment 1M ohms
  • Class 2 Equipment 2M ohms
  • Class 3 Equipment 250k ohms

© Optional Tests:

Flash Test: No flashover or breakdown shall occur

Operation/Load test: Compare reading with stated details on nameplate

Earth leakage test:

• Class 1 Handheld Appliances 0.75mA
  • Other Class 1 Appliances 3.5mA
  • Class 2 Appliances 0.25mA

You could just stick a nice green label on to say it passed, after all that seems to be all the big PAT testing companiess do for the 50p an item.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow,

Thanks Pache, I'm fairly sure I read the whole internet and didn't find that information so clearly put.

Philbas, that was my back up plan for my friend!!

Ooh, I love what happens when you press the Scoob button - it kind of zoooms off into space.

Latest posts