Pay gap

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misssweden

DNO Official™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else catch this on the news today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43632763

Companies with more than 250 employees must now state the average gender pay gap. Although I think this is a great step in the right direction, I also suspect that the figures are pretty misleading. (I know for a fact that there is not an 18% difference in pay between me and male jointers at work, for example). Taking the average earnings of men and women and just comparing them does not take into consideration that a company could have a high proportion of women and junior positions and not very many in management. Which, lets face it, is pretty common but would also distort figures for a simple average male vs average female pay for that peticular company. 

I would be much more interested in seeing statistics comparing men and women in the same job roles with similar experience and see what that reveals. Do male nurses earn more than female nurses on the same

ward? Does going on maternity leave affect womens pay as they could be seen to have less experience due to being off for so long? It’s an interesting debate, thoughts please :)  

Also, the link above allows you to search and view statistics for different companies if anyone’s interested. 

All this carp is nothing more that a box ticking exercise ............................. 

Re nursing, the pay rates and grades are uniform across the country and then certain areas get very modest additions ...........

At the end of the day if an employee believes that they are "worth more" ................. then they should ask for a rise or find a new job.

Tin hat on!

it is illegal to pay male nad female staff different rates for the same job. What the earnings gap reflects is more to do with life, ie women tend to take time out to have children which affects overall career earnings. There was an article about his on Newsnight last night, and one of the more interesting points is that low paid women do better than low paid men. I do also think men tend to be a bit pushier when it comes to promotions.

My mates misses works for the BBC and has been questioning her salary compared to other people in her department - she has 1 title and everybody else has a different title !

For me if she is so determined to get this fixed she should change employers ..................

The governments and companies have clung onto this  gender pay difference since  Adam was paid more than Eve for picking fruit .  

There is a simple answer ........ there is a rate for the job , if you are doing that job irrespective of your gender , then you should get the going rate .  End of. 

Birmingham City Council are having to pay millions in back pay because they tried to get away with paying women less than men over a long period .  

There are attitudes that go way back and should have been sorted years ago .     Women  not allowed to vote .  No women police officers / pilots / armed forces. 

I remember great discussion when they announced the  first female TV news reader. 

During both World Wars  there was amazement at seeing women driving the buses  , riveting  Spitfires together  AND   , horror of horrors , women  pilots were delivering them to the RAF .  

Something my aunt told me ,   she was working at Hercules Cycles just after the war ,  told her boss she was getting married ....her boss said don't tell anyone here  because I don't want to lose you . 

What I didn't know was , they were not allowed to employ married women ....as they would be taking a man's job .  

personally I think its very misleading

the firm I am currently with [albiet as a subby] ,  I get paid more than the site manager, a reasonable amount more

I've also worked for firms in in the past where Ii was paid more than their QS's or foremen [ and I was cards in ]

so, even though I've had a 'lower' job title, I got paid more as I brought a certain skillset

so how can that be compared.?

do they just give me a fancy title.?

personally I think its very misleading

the firm I am currently with [albiet as a subby] ,  I get paid more than the site manager, a reasonable amount more

I've also worked for firms in in the past where Ii was paid more than their QS's or foremen [ and I was cards in ]

so, even though I've had a 'lower' job title, I got paid more as I brought a certain skillset

so how can that be compared.?

do they just give me a fancy title.?

No they make you work with an underpaid female spark and rely on your guilt to take over. Alternatively you say sorry love I don’t set the pay and carry on regardless. 

Is that sexist or just fact? 

Theres nothing wrong with a firm paying  a bloke extra because he,s worth it to them and they don't want to lose him  ...or as you said elsewhere , theres a pyro job coming up and you're the only one on the firm who can work with it.  

But if  they're employing sparks say  , the basic or starting  rate should be same  whether you are male or female .  Then the  sparks  who can run a job / site  ,can organize  becomes a forman and deserves extra money  for going the extra mile . 

So I've just looked up my company's pay gap. It is 42.8%.  :Applaud

I would like to think I've played my part in this. The thing is, I work 65+ hours a week, some women in our place work 16....

Theres nothing wrong with a firm paying  a bloke extra because he,s worth it to them and they don't want to lose him  ...or as you said elsewhere , theres a pyro job coming up and you're the only one on the firm who can work with it.  

But if  they're employing sparks say  , the basic or starting  rate should be same  whether you are male or female .  Then the  sparks  who can run a job / site  ,can organize  becomes a forman and deserves extra money  for going the extra mile . 

When/if I ever get to vote in a general election I’m writing ”Deke for prime minister” all over my ballot paper.  :wub:

Then in that case ...you shall be my deputy Prime Minister  ....Under Secretary of State  for Power Distribution ...and  Head of Swedish Affairs  with a chauffeur driven Volvo  and an office furnished by  Ikea .

You will never have to crouch in a muddy hole in the road  ..hacking chunks off a live cable .....together we will stride the Corridors of Power  ... now just get your UK citizenship sorted and we 're on our way .  

Last edited by a moderator:
Then in that case ...you shall be my deputy Prime Minister  ....Under Secretary of State  for Power Distribution ...and  Head of Swedish Affairs  with a chauffeur driven Volvo  and an office furnished by  Ikea .

You will never have to crouch in a muddy hole in the road  ..hacking chunks off a live cable .....together we will stride the Corridors of Power  ... now just get your UK citizenship sorted and we 're on our way .  

I have a solution to her citizenship issue,,,,,,,,,       :D

I've lost the plot somewhere  :Blushing

It is all to do with the Friday correction factor that has to be applied to all post content from 8:00pm onward. Re-Read it with the correction factor from the tables on the back of your keyboard or I-pad, and I assume it will all make more sense. if not you will have to PM @Evans Electric

Doc H.

Latest posts