Pendants, CFL, Crabtree, Dead(ish).... Not doing what they say on the tin!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPECIAL LOCATION

Trailer Boy - Electrician.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crabtree CFL Pendants....

Any one else had any problems with them NOT switching 'ON' after being turned off following a long(ish) duration of being 'ON'?

These jobbies:-

CRABTREECFLPENDANT.jpg

As per 'need a few Low energy "Fittings" to keep the building inspector happy!!! :( :|

Got a job with 10 fitted.... 3 have been playing up! being Naughty pendants!!! X( :_|

Done all the swap bulbs around business to check if bulb or fitting...

and I know the Crabtree catalogue says...

CFL COMPACT FLUORESCENT LAMPHOLDERThe design of the Lampholder accepts an industry standard 4 pin 10,13 and 18W G24q1 and q2 lamp. This reduces the power

consumption, when compared to an equivalent incandescent lamp, by up to 80%.

The Lampholder is designed to European standards and has a diameter of 42mm, which is larger than the typical Lampholder which is 29mm.

A Safety feature which protects the installation will disconnect the supply to the Lampholder:-

During a lamp change, when no lamp is present, or in the case of lamp failure at the end of lamp life.

This Safety feature is reset by switching the supply to the fitting off for 10 to 15 seconds.

{extract PAGE 202}
But we still have three pendants that are NOT playing proper!!!:( X( :eek:

Ideas anyone?

Or any had similar problems?

:|

Can I change my name to :- "NOITACOL LAICEPS"...

Just to keep Patch happy?! ]:)

I know he loves name changes!!!! :^O ; \ :x

pretty crap feature imo as these types provide basic protection unlike the bc/es

have used the type but sure of make. no issues

I have not had the same problem you are having, but I did have some that did not turn on at all, when switched off again then on they did work.

Let us know how you get on.

Now that proper light bulbs are illegal to sell, and the only ones you can get are energy saving, do we need to fit the special fittings at all??

Its when doing work classed as "New build" an building inspector wants to check your compliance with Builing regs part L1B,

Paragraph 44, PAGE 21.

:(

These low energy pendants are all very well, but how STOOPID are BCOs for forcing us to fit lamp holders we know full well the client is going to rip out because she CAN'T BUY SHADES that fit!! FFS!

These low energy pendants are all very well, but how STOOPID are BCOs for forcing us to fit lamp holders we know full well the client is going to rip out because she CAN'T BUY SHADES that fit!! FFS!
Arn't Ikea shades normal ones with the fatter holes????

You can get an nice breakfast there as well!Blushing:p] :)

so what type of actual lamp fitting connection are these????D 4 pin or D 2 pin?

If BC or ES they don't comply with the energy saving building regs bit! :(
They have gu10 type base so bc or es won't fit.

Batty

Its when doing work classed as "New build" an building inspector wants to check your compliance with Builing regs part L1B,Paragraph 44, PAGE 21.

:(
This is correct, the legislation stipulates that under part L of the building regulations fittings have to be fitted that only allow lamps to be fitted with a lumen of 40 per watt, building inspectors want to see these types of fiitings.

Also there is a revised part L due to take force in 2010, with further implications to energy and ventilation, the effect this may have on DI's, is that they may have to add extra certification and details of things like extractor fan airflow compliance.

I am not sure of everything yet as I have just started to read the revised paper myself.