People arguing in forums

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again I am late to the party but,....we can only work with/draw our own conclusions from the information that we are given

i assume members are commenting on the profile which does not really make any sense

Jon Aldred

Bronze Member

20 posts

Skills:General All Rounder
Domestic
Commercial
Industrial
Inspect &Test

Training:Time Served Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship

Employment:Employed
Apprentice
Retired
Other

an Employed retired apprentice that is also a Time served apprentice is a little confusing to say the least

just saying

The forum doesn't help here, people get confused and tick the wrong boxes. There's also the fact that it doesn't specifically say electrical apprenticeship or what exactly you are self employed as, so some self employed seamstress who did a sewing apprenticeship comes here for some DIY advice and ticks the 'Apprenticeship' and 'Self Employed' boxes.

The problem with most forums is that they are either well run by someone good at this sort of thing, who isn't in the trade or they are run by electricians who aren't good wit computers.

We get it a lot on the security forums, in that public come for 'advice' - and when it isn't what they want to hear, i.e. that their broken 1980s alarm with more than half the circuits spared out is giving them a false sense of security, they often kick off.

As we often say, it's a best-practice forum not DIYnot where someone will tell you to sort out a faulty SAB by just 'linking out 0v and tamper return and don't worry about it mate'.

However, I accept that some of the members there (talking as a mod on that site) can make it worse! We have people who are (99% of the time they ask themselves for this status) restricted to Trade areas only, which helps.

We get it a lot on the security forums, in that public come for 'advice' - and when it isn't what they want to hear, i.e. that their broken 1980s alarm with more than half the circuits spared out is giving them a false sense of security, they often kick off.

As we often say, it's a best-practice forum not DIYnot where someone will tell you to sort out a faulty SAB by just 'linking out 0v and tamper return and don't worry about it mate'.

However, I accept that some of the members there (talking as a mod on that site) can make it worse! We have people who are (99% of the time they ask themselves for this status) restricted to Trade areas only, which helps.

But they are no better at sticking to what they know either. I have looked a few times over the years after I left but there's too many clueless idiots who think they know everything about electrics just because they are good with alarms. There is so much misinformation flying about on TSI I'm surprised someone hasn't been killed, or JW hasn't been sued.

Last edited by a moderator:

we had quite a debate a few years ago about allowing DIYers to post on a forum meant for electricians. In the end we concluded that we would set-up the DiY section and try to prevent them from killing themselves or others. The reason for the DiY section was to try and prevent those trying to hide their real intentions, ie get us to tell them how to do a piece of work they don't want to pay for. But they still try to post on the main forums where they do tend to get slammed. My problem isn't so much that they get slammed, just that there are polite ways of doing that! :^O I do think some members on here just over-react.

But they are no better at sticking to what they know either. I have looked a few times over the years after I left but there's too many clueless idiots who think they know everything about electrics just because they are good with alarms. There is so much misinformation flying about on TSI I'm surprised someone hasn't been killed, or JW hasn't been sued.

Yes, there are a few. Apropos of nothing, did you know that Arf had died?

He went off in a bit off a huff, funny enough over a '4mm T+E for a cooker' argument or something similar IIRC, such that people kept making '4mm' jokes, never posted again, and 6 months later we were told by a collegue of his that he'd died :(