pir and lead covered cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eeb1933

Reaction score
hi all

did pir yesterday on a terrace house as its just sold and the estate agents require a completion certificate for the electrics in the bathroom as its had lights in tiles etc inthe last 4 years. the sparky/plumbers who did the job did'nt give them one!

so here it goes. earths chopped off at new switch which feeds 12v lights i tiles. switch is on landing cable just clipped from a hole in floorboards, lord knows where feed comes from no doubt j/b. old pvc cable at pull switch no earth, but metal pendant. no supplementary bonding anywhere. old 3036 board took cover off and all cables twin and earth but the one feeding bathroom/ upstairs is old lead covered cable, first time in 14 years i,ve come across it still in use. what code should i give?

i feel a code 1 same as bathroom pendant. today though i've found out from owners who did the work after i told them the problems and they've gone mad.

Metal pendant wasn't Class II then?

As for cable, thats a difficult one. If the cover is properly earthed and installed as per an older version of 7671 then its a code 4? If its not earthed then code 2?

Yea just called NICEIC about the cable 'as long as it tests ok and is of correct size then it is ok'

LOL i have always thought that they were no longer fit for purpose because of the age of them and have always changed them or suggested a re-wire :coat

Guess that makes me a cowboy:Blushing

Yes cowboy :p .

Class I fitting with no cpc is code 2 or if Class II, code 4.

No mention in the o.p. of RCD protection for Bathroom circuits ..where there other circuits apart from the lighting ?

The o.p. mentions the Estate Agents request for a Completion Certificate for the Electrics in the Bathroom ?:| I know what he is explaining but ;

: 1. The Term Completion Certificate ?. Is this meant to refer to an Electrical Installation Certificate or/and a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate ? if so , then neither can be issued by the o.p....IF he is referring to a P.I.R. then its A Report rather than a Certificate......not trying to be picky but I find clients are always getting this one wrong.