Pir / Emergency Lighting - Issue

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dambo

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just after a bit of friendly advice regarding an emergency lighting issue I've come across this week. I've been doing some work this week on some apartments in an apartments block. In the communal hallway area there are several lighting points with remote PIR sensors. These lighting points also double up as non-maintained emergency lighting points. It appears that a little while ago the lights stopped working via the PIRs. New bulbs haven't made any difference. When I removed the permanent live from a few of the lighting points to replicate a power failure the bulb lit for a couple of seconds, then went off again. I haven't come across this before ( I don't do a lot of wok on emergency lighting points) and was hoping someone may be able to suggest what might be the issue(s) here?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

The PIRs I checked were working fine, activating the switch live as required. There was 230v at the lighting points but the bulbs weren't coming on, despite new bulbs being installed. This was the case for all the lights I checked in the communal hallway area.

Like Manator says... a test switch could have been operated.... Or if you have a PIR switched live at the fittings but the light doesn't come on then there could be a fault on the mains side of the fittings gear tray.... But that would only affect fittings individually

As a quick test you could disconnect the switched live and link the perm and switched live terminals together

If the lamp does not light when the PIR activates, and it comes on for just 1 second when the power is removed, then at the very least the battery is dead. but probably better just to replace the light fittings completely.

Looks like nobody has ever tested or maintained any of them so they are now as useful as a chocolate tea pot.

For what it is worth, and i know nothing...

I have had issues for years with PIRs activating NM 2D. 16 w and 28w fittings. The control gear burns out within 9 to 18 months due to the frequent switching of the fittings. I have had this on various sites with Robus, Fern Howard, fire safety, Sector branded, Hi Spec....they all do it!

Luckily NONE of these jobs were spec,d by me

Ring manuf and ask if there is an issue with their fittings AND pirs.....there will be!!!

Just saying

PIRs need to be set for at least 10 mins to avoid the observation by Kerching. It give the gear trays / lamps time to warm up properly before being switched off again.

I`m going back to an EM test switch somewhere, having been operated. This would give the results you describe.

Which will probably mean replacement fittings too, now.

Oh, and the building should be evacuated until works complete; as the emergency escape lighting is U/S.

The PIRs I checked were working fine, activating the switch live as required. There was 230v at the lighting points but the bulbs weren't coming on, despite new bulbs being installed. This was the case for all the lights I checked in the communal hallway area.
maybe try fitting the correct lamp instead of expecting a plant to grow from it?

I think many of you ought to think about the results of your incompetence!BEFORE YOU CAN RUN YOU REALLY DO NEED TO WALK.

I despair at some of the questions raised on this forum, but when they are life threatening I give up.

If you are a domestic installer and done the bare minimum to get registered, them swat up on basic electrical science, it will help you out no end.

You should never do anything that you do not fully understand,

Latest posts