PLC's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hxsarge

Reaction score
i have been working on and around older industrial machinery for a few years now, attending breakdowns etc. my experience is really limited to contactors,relays and the occasional inverter etc. i would like to expand my knowledge to plc installation and maintenance but i cant seem to find much information regarding. whats the best way to start?

cheers andy

This might be a good place to start Your Personal PLC Tutor - Learn PLC Programming Here. FREE

Each manufacturer tends to be very different, for instance I used to do a lot of Siemens PLC work, but that wouldn't help me all that much if I were presented with say an Allen Bradley PLC.

Also in many cases the programming software is not free, in fact in the case of Siemens it's very expensive.

I think the design and programming side of things is very specialized and programming has to comply with safe working practices PUWER etc and LOLER if its lifting machinery. Not trying to put you off and I'm sure slippery adder or coracle paddler can advise further. Best of luck with your endeavours. There is a free utility ladder logic programme suited to AB stuff which is available free online but cant think of the name offhand.

Yes Old Modicon, Now Schneider Group.---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:14 ----------

Whilst I am a fan of the AB plc's i don't like there distributor and their pricing so switched to Siemens some 6 years ago now, far better tech support and service and you don't have to pay through the nose.
Nothing wrong with AB, you phone the distributor up at Dartford;

"Have you got such and such?"

"Yes we're showing 5 in stock!"

"I'm only round the corner, can I come and pick them up?"

"That's 5 in stock at Milton Keynes......."

default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

Latest posts