Please Help Newbie

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryhill2000

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am new to this thread and new to Electrics and have a number of q's that I would like some help with, I am sure its mainly basic but would like your input - thanks

If I install a new shower circuit and the mains water bonding is only 4mm and I at liberty to upgrade it?

When moving a socket, should I channel the wall out and leave the cable free inside the wall or should i clip it to the wall or apply a metal covering? This would mean a much bigger channel so was hoping I could just channel and feed the wiring in and plaster over the top. I know if under 50mm I need rcd protection so rather than putting a new unit or rcbo in, whats the best way to get it under 50mm?

If a socket is to be added in a kitchen which has an old cartridge type fuse box should this be changed to incorporate an RCD?

Whats the best way to get the max load for certificates? Should I add the MCB's and apply diversity or is there a rule of thumb that is acceptable?

I am on a learning curve and trying to work things out practically before going for the exams

many thanks and sorry for the "simple" qs

Hi Harry, welcome to the forum:-

1. Whether bonding is needed very much depends on your earthing system, what do you have currently? if you are unsure, a picture of the cable head would certainly be beneficial.

2. Channel in flush where ever possible, it makes the job look a million times better. there is no specific rule that says that you have to use channeling to protect that cable, though I use this MK Electric Egatube Oval White Oval Conduit 20mm 3m Length (Pack Size 50 Lengths), EOC3WHI it keeps the cables neat, and is of a help if I have to replace a cable in the future.

3. If adding a socket, as in this particular case, I would use a socket that incorporates and RCD into it Powerbreaker White Moulded 2 Gang Passive RCD Switchsocket 13A 30mA, K22WP-C.

4. Maximum demand was actually discussed in a thread on here about 2 months ago, have a read of it, it is very well worth your time.

AndyGuinness

hi

thanksAndy for your input, there are 2 sep installs one TN-C-S and one tt ( this has 6mm ), wasnt sure where in the regs saying i had to upgrade it. Thats a good idea re: the plastic conduit, I know i have some 20mm plastic conduit which I am guess would do.

Will also check out max demand thread, wil try and find it - thanks again

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:15 ----------

Andy, point 3, you still need to protect the cable. <50mm
thanks I thought this was the case

Doesn't sound like he's on a 'learning curve' to me - before "going for the exams"............sounds more like he's doing the job - and asking you ever-helpful chaps how to do it.

I wish people would leave things alone that they know nothing about - bloody dangerous.

Doesn't sound like he's on a 'learning curve' to me - before "going for the exams"............sounds more like he's doing the job - and asking you ever-helpful chaps how to do it.I wish people would leave things alone that they know nothing about - bloody dangerous.
Thanks for your presumption - Its part of a project for given scenario's, you obviously have too much time on your hands to troll these forums rather than giving advice and trying to help people unlike others on here. Your comments are worthless and there is no need to be such an arrogant tw4t. Do you not think its obvious that electricity is dangerous? Why do you assume I am illegally doing work on a shower circuit? This is slanderous at the least.

Harry,

I myself am at college learning the "trade" as are alot of the guys on here , the others are practicing electricians whos life revolves around doing the work for real making a living for them and their familys and then come on here to discuss issues and help us learners.

This is the most friendly forum I have ever been on , but that has obivous pitfalls as well , most of the learners on here have been into the welcome section and posted a little about themselves first and asked a few "silly" questions myself included.

Your thread and questions seemed very knowledgable and real world kind of questions and this leads to suspicions and of course we are only human. As you will find out if as you are learning once your out in the real world doing the job some people do not see how dangerous electricity actually is and think (especially in the current economic climate) the diy sheds sell the stuff how hard can it be.

I myself have been shocked by alot of what I have read on here and seen on here but I am very thankful for the guys who give their time freely to help us learners , yes sometimes the answers are short and abrupt maybe even rude , but as we are only humans there is nothing ment in a bad way other than "hey Ive had a real SH** day" or " I work up the wrong side".

Its also good to bear in mind that words can not show emotions or facial express so it is also very easy to get the wrong meaning.

Anyway enough woffal from me , welcome to the forum , I hope it will help you as a valuable addition to your learning as it has helped me and aawful lot others.

Andy

Given your insulting reply, I disagree with the others and you can have what you deserve.............:

Hi EveryoneThis:..........

When moving a socket, should I channel the wall out and leave the cable free inside the wall or should i clip it to the wall or apply a metal covering? This would mean a much bigger channel so was hoping I could just channel and feed the wiring in and plaster over the top. I know if under 50mm I need rcd protection so rather than putting a new unit or rcbo in, whats the best way to get it under 50mm?

......Is NOT an exam scenario - this is you looking for the easiest/cheapest method of doing a job!!

If it were an exam scenario, you would be looking for the CORRECT way to do it - not the easiest or cheapest.

Admit it - you are looking for someone to tell you it's OK to proceed with your 'cowboy' methods.

If I'm wrong, you could post the project/scenario notes that you were given as an outline (word for word), then I'll eat humble pie and apologise to you in BIG letters;)
My Red.

And now I appologise to the Mods and others on the forum, but you did deserve it.

Hi EveryoneI am new to this thread and new to Electrics and have a number of q's that I would like some help with, I am sure its mainly basic but would like your input - thanks

If I install a new shower circuit and the mains water bonding is only 4mm and I at liberty to upgrade it?

If a socket is to be added in a kitchen which has an old cartridge type fuse box should this be changed to incorporate an RCD? that would depend on the location and the sockets use

Whats the best way to get the max load for certificates? Should I add the MCB's and apply diversity or is there a rule of thumb that is acceptable? ref the onside guide for this

I am on a learning curve and trying to work things out practically before going for the exams

many thanks and sorry for the "simple" qs
my red