Plumbers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob69

Reaction score
Hi All,

The job i am on has had new ring circuits installed.

A plumber has then installed a new central heating system.

He has run his hot pipes all very close to the electrical wiring under the floor boards. What is the building regs for proximty to none electrical systems ie distance between the two systems?????? and surely if he is ( or should be) part p it should not have been done that way!!!!!!!

As an aside to this,the pipe work alternates between copper and plastic pipes throughout the house.......so what do i do with regard to bonding this installation? do i just bond all exposed copper pipes in case of faults occuring????

Cheers Rob

They do it all the time BANDITS

Just make sure none are in contact with your PVC and get him to put some lagging where they cross to keep them apart no set distance specified

No need to bond all over the place.

Bond as 17th Edition BS7671 states Main services at entry point to building only.

Hi Rob, get used to it, its what plumbers do ! Just main bond at incoming is all you can do . No reason why the plumber should be Part P. Elects should be 150mm (6") from gas but not sure about heating . Lots of jobs they lay their pipes right on the cables, luckily the PVC seems to withstand the heat.

The building control officer where I am demands that all cables are at least 50mm from heating and water pipes.

The building control officer where I am demands that all cables are at least 50mm from heating and water pipes.
But is that based on actual regs, or does the bloke just hate tradesmen?

:|

528.3 Proximity to non-electrical services (Page 109 BRB)

528.3.1 A wiring system shall not be installed in the vicinity of services which produce heat, smoke or fumes likely to be detrimental to the wiring, unless it is protected from harmful effects by shielding arranged so as not to affect the dissipation of heat from the wiring.

In areas not specifically designed for the installation of cables, e.g. service shafts and cavities, the cables shall be laid so that they are not exposed to any harmful influence by the normal operation of the adjacent installations (e.g. gas, water or steam lines).

528.3.2 Where a wiring system is routed below services liable to cause condensation (such as water, steam or gas services), precautions shall be taken to protect the wiring system from deleterious effects.

528.3.3 Where an electrical service is to be installed in proximity to one or more non-electrical services it shall be so arranged that any foreseeable operation carried out on the other services will not cause damage to the electrical service or the converse.

NOTE: This may be achieved by:

1. suitable spacing between the services, or

2. the use of mechanical or thermal shielding

528.3.4 Where an electrical service is located in close proximity to one or more non-electrical services, both the following conditions shall be met:

1. The wiring system shall be suitably protected against the hazards likely to arise from the presence of the other services in normal use
  2. Fault protection shall be afforded in accordance with the requirements of section 411, non-electrical metallic services being cosidered as extraneous-conductive-parts.

528.3.5 No cable shall be run in a lift or hoist shaft unless it forms part of the lift installation as defined in BS EN 81-1 series.

But it doesn't mention a minimum distance, so I assume that the bloke has plucked the 50mm figure out of the air?

But it doesn't mention a minimum distance, so I assume that the bloke has plucked the 50mm figure out of the air?
I think he must have as I can't seem to find anything to support his requirements, and TBH I've never bothered looking until now (just done what he asked to keep him happy as he can be a bit of a TOOL if you question him). headbang

Next time I see him I'll have BRB ready and ask him to point out the regs to me. :innocent

Hi jud have you got regs as a file on computer or did you type that lot out from brb cheers
Typed it out mate. bad day explode

Wish I had them on file though....be much easier!!!!

Page 18 On-Site Guide. (for gas pipes, but the only thing I can find)

Separation of at least 25mm to be provided for domestic pipework up to 35mm. For pipework over 35mm then 50mm separation is required. ......

To me that means normal central heating pipework (15mm or 22mm) is 25mm separation, not 50mm. I'll be showing the bloke this next time I see him.

PLUMBERS so they all do it then!

as my old gaffer used to say - ;)

plumbers are sparks with no brains

Page 18 On-Site Guide. (for gas pipes, but the only thing I can find)Separation of at least 25mm to be provided for domestic pipework up to 35mm. For pipework over 35mm then 50mm separation is required. ......

To me that means normal central heating pipework (15mm or 22mm) is 25mm separation, not 50mm. I'll be showing the bloke this next time I see him.
You tell him!

:)