PME and Insulation resistance

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orbital

Reaction score
Insulation Resistance is 0.00

This is with L/N connected together to earth

Even when I test on the buss bar with all MCBs off I am getting 0.00

I have disconnected earthing conductor and bonding

PME system.

If Earthing conductor disconnected the Neutral earth link should be gone Yes?

Any thoughts thanks

Have you turned the main switch off?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:41 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:40 ----------

BTW, dont you mean TN-C-S ? :|

Is college different to my time there 6years ago?

1st hint, turn your main switch off, 2nd remove individual neutrals and test each.

Main switch is off

Individual tests are the way to go but I was curious as to why I was getting such poor readings

It is a global test, but all the lives are not being tested, as all switched off

Earthing conductor and bonding disconnected

so in effect I am testing earth and neutral these should be separate through out the house should they not

You should be testing with all mcbs on, all earthing connected and main switch off.

Test with main switch off all mcbs on for whole installation!!

If still poor reading need to establish which circuit giving poor value test each circuit individually with neutral disconnected

Sorry but I dont think anybody who has replied to this post has read what I have actually asked

But thanks anyway,

Sorry, but shouldn't your curiousity be explained with further detailed testing?

Are you expecting one of us to explain your curiosity without witnessing the install?

Perhaps if you could give done more detail as to what you are expecting from us, we have pointed you toward further testing??

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent the day today doing further testing. I was asking a question last night, because I was a bit

confused as to what was happening.

I thought it was OK to ask questions,

But people follow the previous post and dont answer the original question.

This started as a friendly site, but unfortunately it looks like its going like the others

full of cliques

Sorry but I dont think anybody who has replied to this post has read what I have actually askedBut thanks anyway,
You have a N-E fault somewhere.

Lots of people have told you to isolate the circuits and test each individually. That means removing ALL the neutrals from the bus bar and then testing each circuit individually until you find the one(s) with the fault.

But you have already been told to do that in post #6, so what more do you expect?

Insulation Resistance is 0.00 This is with L/N connected together to earth

Even when I test on the buss bar with all MCBs off I am getting 0.00

I have disconnected earthing conductor and bonding

PME system.

If Earthing conductor disconnected the Neutral earth link should be gone Yes?

Any thoughts thanks
Sounds like you have a continuity of anything between 0ohms and 9999ohms if your reading is 0.00Mohms. Some appliance connected somewhere, maybe with mains filters built in, these often have components connected to earth. Not sure what thoughts you want as the post is a little vague with no direct question. I am unclear of the relevance to your clique comment? Members can only answer questions when sufficient information is given. Basic IR testing is not difficult to grasp, but occasionally less skilled (non competent) persons do mistake 0.00Mohms as being equal to 0ohms

Doc H.