Pond pump installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we're at cross purposes again. I (now) assume you meant drive a rod at the load end and bond that, I was just referring to connecting/bonding the armour at both ends.
So you are suggesting using the armour as a cpc in parallel with the core of the SWA?

Getting confused now, I can't see what else you are proposing?

The SWA must be connected to the installation earth at the supply end, there is no way of doing that at the supply end.

The only thing else that I could think that you were proposing is using the SWA as a cpc in parallel with one of the cores as the OP said he was going to use a 3c cable for the supply & it's single phase.

The only thing else that I could think that you were proposing is using the SWA as a cpc in parallel with one of the cores as the OP said he was going to use a 3c cable for the supply & it's single phase.

What's wrong with that?

Ok - then thanks to all for the replies.

this link Armoured cable clip

(which appears to be one of the best)

says about 60 seconds from the end:

1, ...must always connect armour even if internal ground is used (my expansion - 3 core single phase)

2. ...generally ground at both ends

3. ...but there are occasions to just connect one end (my expansion - no explanation given for that)

Point 3 is - again - left dangling.

I must say I'm surprised at the lack of certainty here  but I'll connect both ends as I install

because I can always cut it out easier than adding it later if I find any complete explanation

somewhere. I don't foresee an issue with that on this short run to a pump anyway.

I've just finished a dry run of gland fitting.  Everything went fine (cables I've done - just not armoured)

with just one small hitch - worth noting perhaps:

I hadn't quite scored some of the strands of armour enough to make them

snap off easy. so I twisted them a bit more to snap them - this left the tips bent slightly making it

very difficult to get the pressure ring in place. I'll know better next time.

thanks

jack

3. ...but there are occasions to just connect one end (my expansion - no explanation given for that)

Point 3 is - again - left dangling.

if you are using a core as a CPC then you dont need to connect to the armour at the load end. also, if you are not exporting the earth then you wont be connection to the armour at the load end. however the supply end must always be earthed

I hadn't quite scored some of the strands of armour enough to make them

snap off easy. so I twisted them a bit more to snap them - this left the tips bent slightly making it

very difficult to get the pressure ring in place. I'll know better next time.

dont try and bend it as you have found out, go back to the saw and cut it again

Thanks Andy - That confirmation makes me happier.

Yes Rob - I spotted that at the start - easily overlooked though.

I think that link I mentioned explains the indoor/outdoor glands

I have the 20S outdoor type from screwfix. (cw is it called?)

I'm not sure how to respond to the earth type question john. Is there

something special I should be looking for there?

(It's a relatives house ... yes I know!)

I'll probably make a start later or tomorrow.

OK new question - does the wiring between the indoor socket out to the

connection box have to be the same as the wire already installed or

can I just use any 13 amp wire - (it just goes right through the

wall into the outside box - about a brick width  and a half.)

(I'm asking about  regulation not general practice here)

jack

I'm not sure how to respond to the earth type question john. Is there

something special I should be looking for there?

It is to do with earthing arrangements at the load end. It would help to know if the supply is TT or TNS or TNCS.. [Yes, i know!!] A photo of the incoming supply to the house [the board cutout/main fuse thing] is what is needed..

john..

I'll look into that and see what I can do john.

The consumer unit is quite blank - the installers hadn't even labelled the circuits.

I've just had a quick look on wikipedia for the terms and found what looks like

a decent page at Earthing types explained on wikipedia

Its a bit much for me to grok on a single reading (showing my age there by terminology)

but I'll have a read over the weekend. Some of it makes sense from previous life

experience though.

I did a quick check this afternoon and it may be I've hit a snag.

The socket I was going to spur off looks like it already has a spur.

I'm guessing at the moment but I suspect it goes to the central heating thermostat box on the next wall.

(There's some painted trunking going into that from the ceiling down the wall suggesting a later addition)

I seem to remember reading that only one spur per socket is allowed. Can that be confirmed?

If it is would it be allowed for me to install a double socket to spur off (ie would any restriction be a physical

one or a power consumption regulation?)

If I'm stuck - is there any other option (I did think of just blanking the socket with a plate so the only use is

the pump and mysterious  spur - does that sound OK? I assume blanking plates exist - I can't say I've ever looked.

And all she wanted was a couple of goldfish - jeez it gets complicated fast.

thanks

jack

Hi all

OK I just thought I'd pop back and say a big thank you to all those who helped out here.

The cable is in - the pond is in and the fountain is on.

For the curious the armour is grounded at the supply end (only).

We persuaded a local council electrician to come in and check out what I was doing

because I can't find a single electrician to actually turn up. It seems they either

have too much work for a simple visit or don't need the money or just

can't be bothered to get out of bed. They don't even bother to ring back

when messages are left. I have to say I'm shocked. (No pun intended)

Anyway he checked it out and said everything is good so I went ahead and connected up.

(His contract prevented him from doing "foreigners" apparently.)

It's all very neat and the 30mA trip box test it out as fine.

So thanks again - you've all been a big help.

Hi all

OK I just thought I'd pop back and say a big thank you to all those who helped out here.

The cable is in - the pond is in and the fountain is on.

For the curious the armour is grounded at the supply end (only).

We persuaded a local council electrician to come in and check out what I was doing

because I can't find a single electrician to actually turn up. It seems they either

have too much work for a simple visit or don't need the money or just

can't be bothered to get out of bed. They don't even bother to ring back

when messages are left. I have to say I'm shocked. (No pun intended)

Anyway he checked it out and said everything is good so I went ahead and connected up.

(His contract prevented him from doing "foreigners" apparently.)

It's all very neat and the 30mA trip box test it out as fine.

So thanks again - you've all been a big help.
This is  quite common Jack ,  I find it with carpenters, plumbers , and although they are good tradesmen , they don't follow up or even phone to say can't do it for 4 weeks or whatever so now I don't recommend them .