Possible new CU

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy_spark

Reaction score
I did this job back in the spring. The customer contacted me saying he was decorating his bathroom and wanted an electric shower installing. Western Power had changed his meter and suggested he should get somebody to look at installing a Consumer Unit. Not being one to shy away form a challenge I had a look in the cellar....23022011(003).jpg

23022011.jpg

23022011(001).jpg

23022011(002).jpg

I would love to have a go at that.... satisfying job.

I had a look at a job similar to that a few years back....2 fuses only

gave them a price never heard from them again......terraced house still there though

This install had been bodged by the owner and had apparently been rewired at some point (1970s or 1980s) by the customers brother who is now registered blind!!

The lights were completely rewired by me up, down and cellar (no rcd on cellar lights). Funnily enough they hadn't been rewired before and I found rubber and lead cables, customer soon wanted it sorted when I showed him the rubber falling away on the bathroom light switch.

The sockets were on a 15A ring with numerous spurs, this was all pvc 2.5mm and insulation resistances were all good when i replaced all the guys own attempts to install sockets.

Lounge and Upstairs turned into a radial, kitchen sockets turned into a ring, new radial for utility room and bathroom heater.

New shower circuit, partial rewire of cooker, new circuit for smoke alarms.

Lastly the immersion circuit was ok and I didn't need to do anything!!

New 12 way RCBO CU, new bonding, new tails and a new Main Earth and the jobs a good'un.

I've still got to return to fit shower and bathroom heater, at an additional cost of course:^O

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:38 ----------

I meant to add the owner was a chippy, and obviously thought he knew enough to dabble!!

That is the very reason I don't hang doors and fit kitchens!! :D

Last edited by a moderator: