Project

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Plate

Reaction score
Evening All,

I need advice and help regarding college project. I am doing my requisition for the materials needed for the project . I am stuck on what type of consumer unit am I going to use in the shed , I am running a 2.5 or 4.0mm SWA armoured cable from my main CU going to the shed underground method, I am using 20A RCD to supply the shed , and in the shed will only need a double socket and a single light , as far as my plan, I am going to protect the socket supply with a 16A rcd and 6A for the lighting ... Please correct me if there is wrong on my plan for the project.. can you please tell me what CU type am I going to use in the shed....

thanks all

lplate

Why not save yourself a few quid and run the sea directly into a mc socket and then to a swfs for the light?
thanks NozSpark,

the project says to run it in SWA armoured cable , infact it says to run it in cable tray but I used to run it underground so that my calculation will be different from the others. I think the college want us to do this method for us to show them how we protect all installation.

Ta!!

If the shed is only 1 x Socket and 1 x Light...

Personally I would just run a supply considered as "The socket supply"

And run the light off a Switched fused Spur off the socket radial..

Cheaper than a 2-way CU ..

better value for the customer & does the job..

(Similar arrangement is sometimes used for conservatory power..

e.g. extend ring/radial Socket, then Spur off to light with FCU.)

;)

Can I just say Mr "L" Platius electricus (thats the Latin for your name you know! O) ;) :innocent ) :Applaud :Applaud

I do like the way you word your questions giving a bit about what you think the answer is then asking advice about it...

Rather than some posters who just say..

"How do I do this?"

without offering any of their own thoughts first..

IMHO nice 'Question'..

now let us both see what others think while i have some more GuinnessGuinness....

If the shed is only 1 x Socket and 1 x Light...Personally I would just run a supply considered as "The socket supply"

;)

Can I just say Mr "L" Platius electricus (thats the Latin for your name you know! O) ;) :innocent ) :Applaud :Applaud

I do like the way you word your questions giving a bit about what you think the answer is then asking advice about it...

Rather than some posters who just say..

"How do I do this?"

without offering any of their own thoughts first..

IMHO nice 'Question'..

now let us both see what others think while i have some more GuinnessGuinness....
thanks SL,

while we wait for the others , have some more on this "aguila beer"

http://www.forkparty.com/pictures-of-girls-drinking-beer/aguila-beer-girl-1-fork-party/

enjoy!!!

thanks SL, while we wait for the others , have some more on this "aguila beer"

http://www.forkparty.com/pictures-of-girls-drinking-beer/aguila-beer-girl-1-fork-party/

enjoy!!!
>>>>>>>>>> Posted from Special Location

If the shed is only 1 x Socket and 1 x Light...

Personally I would just run a supply considered as "The socket supply"

>>>> SL , I like the way you plan for the shed , it is easy installtion wise and cheaper . but , I am thingking of some worst scenario. for instance , working in the shed at night then the socket trip so this means the light will be affected as well ?? but since this is all about college project , I think my instructor will be glad to see this kind of method , I would say that I can do this kind of installation in the shed ( as what your personal suggestion ) cheaper and better value for the customer, I would probably used your idea ( with your permission ) just to support my paper work on the project.

I wouldn;t see that as a major issue, not like it's a base of heavy industry, or a workshop even. More likely it will not be used at night so I wouldn;t say it was an issue. If you were concerned you could TD the RCD at the house and use an RCD socket and spur.

SL , I like the way you plan for the shed , it is easy installtion wise and cheaper . but , I am thingking of some worst scenario. for instance , working in the shed at night then the socket trip so this means the light will be affected as well ?? but since this is all about college project , I think my instructor will be glad to see this kind of method , I would say that I can do this kind of installation in the shed ( as what your personal suggestion ) cheaper and better value for the customer, I would probably used your idea ( with your permission ) just to support my paper work on the project.
I just assumed as the shed only needs 1 socket & light it probably isn't very big..

probably NOT a "workshop" sort of shed...

Whereas if you has said

4 or more sockets

2 or 3 lights

some heating..

I would be thinking larger shed.. probably with workbench..

and then best to put a 2way CU for lights & sockets as you suggest for minimising inconvenience.

But your "shed requirements" don't sound like a big shed to me! :) :Salute

If I recall some of these project sort of things were about you assessing and understanding the customers requirements and designing a system to meet their requirements on a reasonable budget and timescale.

:)

(but I may be wrong in my assumptions! :( )

Why are you intending to protect the SWA with a 20A RCD?[/quoteHi spin,

As far as my cable calculation in concern, ( back to the project ) the shed needs 1 double socket and it is mainly to use the flymo type mower. so I would say the common mower has 1.5kw but for sure and for future used I put 2kw on my calculation, why i need to protect the SWA cable with 20A rcd? ( i hope my answer is correct) bcoz for the socket i will used 16A and 6A for the lightings so total of 22A demand ? :Blushing , but for the lighting although i put 6A , still it woul be safe ( i hope ) bcoz the light only 100w ( 230/100=0.43A only )

OMG >> i hope i answered it correctly , if not please correct me

I just assumed as the shed only needs 1 socket & light it probably isn't very big..probably NOT a "workshop" sort of shed...

Whereas if you has said

4 or more sockets

2 or 3 lights

some heating..

I would be thinking larger shed.. probably with workbench..

and then best to put a 2way CU for lights & sockets as you suggest for minimising inconvenience.

But your "shed requirements" don't sound like a big shed to me! :) :Salute

If I recall some of these project sort of things were about you assessing and understanding the customers requirements and designing a system to meet their requirements on a reasonable budget and timescale.

:)

(but I may be wrong in my assumptions! :( )
@SL and LURCH,

I got the point there and I do understand now why 2 way CU is not neccessary in the shed. like SL metioned " reasonable budget and timescale"

thanks a lot guys

I think I misunderstand?

I read that you intend protecting the SWA with a 20A RCD, and then the socket-outlet with a 16A RCD.

I was just wondering why you intend protecting the SWA distribution circuit with an RCD, when there is no requirement to do so?

What you could do here, is run SWA to the shed, terminate in a back box with an SFCU to feed a light, and some T&E to an RCD socket-outlet.

why i need to protect the SWA cable with 20A rcd? ( i hope my answer is correct) bcoz for the socket i will used 16A and 6A for the lightings so total of 22A demand ? :Blushing , but for the lighting although i put 6A , still it woul be safe ( i hope ) bcoz the light only 100w ( 230/100=0.43A only ) OMG >> i hope i answered it correctly , if not please correct me
The demand of an installation, or part thereof, is just that, how much will be demanded, not how much could be drawn if all circuits were loaded up to the CPD rating. That doesn;t even work anyway as you could run over the CPD ratings for days without issue. For your shed I would say demand would be 5-10A, 15 to be on the safe side for design purposes.

Most houses would have 200A maximum demand figures if we just totalled MCB ratings up. Mine would go over 100A on the first three circuits, but in reality I couldn;t physically manage to draw more than about 60A if I loaded up all points and outlets on those circuits, but in day to day use those 3 circuits probably pull 2-3A nominal, 15A max.

may be irrelevant to what you have to do,but have you considered earthing systems?

or is this prohibited for your exam.?
Morning Step,

During the first stage on my design I supposed to use SWA 2 core armoured cable and run a separate earth cable. The original plan is to run in in a cable tray but instead, I used direct underground method so my calculation would be different amongst the others, but I realized why not using SWA 3 core instead ( brown , black and gray ) sleeved the gray with green and yellow to serve as my earth, and sleeved the black with blue to serve as my neutral.

In addition, if i will use cable tray , I am aware that i need to bond between the banjo ( SWA gland kit ) to the tray and of course this is connected from the earth connector too from the CU

please correct me if I'm wrong ..

thanks step,

Lplate

Latest posts