Protection for tails

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemer

Reaction score
Can someone help me please....

I believe the 16th Edition indicated that if supply tails from meter to consumer unit are longer than 2m, they would have to be protected, (can't find my old book to confirm this though).

Is this the case with the 17th? If so under what section would I find it, because I have spent my lunchtime filtering through the 'brown' book but cannot find any mention of protection for tails? :)

I will be connecting the tails from a repositioned meter to a consumer unit. The supply will therefore be about 3.5m away from the board.

Can someone help me please....I believe the 16th Edition indicated that if supply tails from meter to consumer unit are longer than 2m, they would have to be protected, (can't find my old book to confirm this though).

Is this the case with the 17th? If so under what section would I find it, because I have spent my lunchtime filtering through the 'brown' book but cannot find any mention of protection for tails? :)

I will be connecting the tails from a repositioned meter to a consumer unit. The supply will therefore be about 3.5m away from the board.
its more a DNO requirement to have a switch fuse if over 3mtr

Its the DNO that will not guarantee that their fuse will protect tails longer than 3m so normal practise is to fit a switch fuse at the head end on the consumer side.

I haven`t got regs to hand, but ref "isolation" is the area, methinks.However, spec. is actually ESQCR reg.

HTH

KME
He's learnt the 17th by heart - like religions memorising their holy books.........

:D

its all down to your DNO, different ones have different requirements, contact them and find out for sure

its more a DNO requirement to have a switch fuse if over 3mtr
Indeed AndyC..

the regs AFAIK only say an example where it is permissible to omit additional protection to distribution circuit.

Protection against overload current and fault currentRegulations 433.3.1(iii) and 434.3(iv) permit the omission of devices for protection against overload current and fault current for meter tails at the origin of an installation, provided that the distributor agrees that the protection at the supply cut-out is suitable and may be so used. Conditions of the distributor

the regs AFAIK only say an example where it is permissible to omit additional protection to distribution circuit.
Thank you SL,

I also followed this question up by contacting someone on a current 17th course and was told that it may be permissible to omit the protection as long as the tails are installed in trunking or have suitable mechanical protection.

So the answer will be to see what the suppliers prefer!!

Latest posts