Pull-Cord Bathroom Switch - Red Wire And Black Wire With Brown Sleeve

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not-a-bright-spark

Reaction score
We have a bog standard 2D 4-pin flourescent bulb in the bathroom, with a pull-cord switch. The light stopped working the other day.

Tried a new bulb and it flashed briefly and went off.

I thought it may be the pull cord so I turned the power off, took the bottom part off and noticed the earth wire had snapped but was still touching the brass fitting. I re-attached it but it still didn't work.

I bought a new unit (2 way although L2 not needed) and just as I took the old one off and was going to write which wire went in which port my nipper came in, I had to get down and see to him, and I completely forgot!!

I have one red wire and one black wire - so far so easy. I assumed the red was live (COM) and the black neutral (L1). However, the black wire has a brown sleeve on it and I read somewhere that the colours may not mean Red/Live, Black/ Neutral as it depends how the sparky set it up!

Does it matter which goes in which on a simple switch like this?

Would it be safe to try them both ways, and switch the wires that go in the COM and L1 ports?

Many thanks in advance.

Black is the switch live hence the brown tape

Doesn't really matter if u mix the 2 up

Put red in common and black in l1

Has the light fitting got starters in it could well be that with the flashing

When it first stopped working and I went to take the bulb out it flashed on briefly.

Then when I put a new one in it did the same.

After that I checked the fitting and spotted the Earth wire snapped - would this have blown both bulbs? I have refitted it and it still doesn't work.

^Refitted the Earth wire I meant.

Would it be the fuse? Is it a bog-standard fuse on these things? Not at home right now and was doing this last night