Pull cord for shower

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes as ya can tell this has got to be the easiest job to do ,my first attempt and all gone wrong.but thanks everyone for your help think going call it a day,thanks

yes as ya can tell this has got to be the easiest job to do ,my first attempt and all gone wrong.but thanks everyone for your help think going call it a day,thanks
Just for your information, you have now compromised the safety of that new switch, even if you reassemble it correctly, it may not be safe, you need to dispose of it and start again by getting in a local electrician.

I'm not saying this to offend or mock you, but just to make you aware of the situation, if anything goes wrong you will now be directly responsible.

thanks yes i know that this is why i bought 2 new ones ,one play with one to keep for when or if can get someone out to fit it.

How to make an easy job difficult.

P.S you just put both earth wires together into the one terminal if there is only one. No need to dismantle the switch.

PLEASE call an electrician to fit a new switch and check everything else..

:C  

Never fails to amaze me how Joe public think they know best when it comes to simple electrical tasks..................I blame these diy shows & sheds giving the hapless JP the belief that they have the intelligence to undertake these tasks at a fraction of a cost by doing it themselves.

(Come on own up who else delights in ear wigging at the Diy sheds when there are whispered discussions going on in the electrical isle... "can't be that difficult to put the fuse board in the shed, I can run it off the back security light"  :slap )

But on the upside it does mean we can charge more for rectifying the bodges that JP try to energise that result in the RCD/MCB/RCBO tripping baddayexplode .

Last edited by a moderator:
Overheard in a DIY establishment........"oh that copper wire in the middle is what is called the 'stripping core', grab it and pull....it's makes stripping the cable a lot easier"

i walked away very quickly

a few years ago in a shed there were a pair of DIYers who collared an assistant - talk about the blind misleading the blind!

a few years ago in a shed there were a pair of DIYers who collared an assistant - talk about the blind misleading the blind!
In my local wholesalers, a woman approached the trade counter and asked to buy a single light bulb. Just out of coincidence, she also needed some advice, she bought a chrome light switch there last week, the previous electrician had wired the previous pvc light switch "wrong", he had two brown wires in one hole and one brown wire in another hole, and one hole with no wire. She had decided to do the job right, she put a single wire in each hole. The only problem now is that half of the downstairs lights don't work. Could the man behind the counter give her some advice on what to do. His response to her was to get an electrician in to fix it for her. She said no way was she paying an electrician to do such a simple job. She turned around to look at me and another spark who were in the cue behind her, looking for advice. Unfortunately for her we were both deaf and mute and avoided all eye contact with her. Out of options she walked out in a huff.

I was once in the big orange shed and a guy had bought a small water feature for his garden, one of those self contained things, well his plan was to run the cable in through a hole in the window frame and plug it in. The trouble was the cable wasn't long enough, What, he asked the assistant would he need to extend the cable, the assistant showed him some 1mm flex and recommended that since the joint would be outside he used one of those special waterproof connectors (see image)

I had to disagree, and advise two things, 1 that the guy got someone in who knew what they were doing

2 that the assistant, stopped advising people on subjects about which he knew nothing.

duraplug.jpg

Latest posts