Pulling the main fuse

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,Search Stephen P Wales on the net, buy pliers and seals and reseal every head or fuse without seal you work near. Then they are safe, then when supplier comes to do work they will replace seal with their own. I was told by Siemens senior eng they will not prosecute for isolating.
I was told by a man from eon that it is common now to find a cut out without a seal and no one has been prosecuted as no proof who had removed the seal . They do get the hump though if meter seals have been removed but still can't prove anything :innocent

Pull the fuse every time. DNO can never prove who pulled it. 75% of properties I go to don't have a sealed fuse anyway in the first instance. What do you do when you go to a property with no sealed fuse ??????

Work safely - **c* the red tape.
Your safety comes first always O)

It`s an interesting argument.....

As the reason given by EDF for not continuing discussion about this issue was "lack of interest" I believe, maybe we should endeavor to change their minds.
Reading further into this, we find that the "lack of interest" is NOT from us; rather the DNOs. THEY are the ones who can`t be bothered to get involved, not us.

There was a good post on this previously from, I think, Sparkss, who is a DNO operative. We`ve had guys coming out with lead apron, shoulder length gauntlets and a full face visor, just to energise a supply (AFTER having tested the tails!!!).

The latest we`ve been getting from some of the metering companies, is that we can replace customers tails into the meter, but cannot remove main fuse. I`ve heard some guys saying "well, you`re STILL live working". Yes, but on a (generally) more stable and standardised connection. Is that any different from removing an un-needed set of "extra tails" from a Henley block, after consolidating (word of the day) two fuse boxes; or even removing tails from Henley to change CU?

I occasionally come across the henleys with the star heads on the terminals. I do not have an insulated, KV-rated dielectric kitemarked star driver - just a stubby. Does that stop me removing tails from that unit? No; I just exercise a great deal of care when doing it.

TBH, I don`t think there is much difference in the assessment of Part P "defined scope", or "full scope" (though I`m sure someone will correct me if I`m wrong?????) - so saying that only the full scope guys would be considered doesn`t seem like a good plan from where I`m sitting.

Probably more points, but I can`t think straight anymore - Guinness is going down rather well at the mo..........

KME

The latest we`ve been getting from some of the metering companies, is that we can replace customers tails into the meter, but cannot remove main fuse. I`ve heard some guys saying "well, you`re STILL live working". Yes, but on a (generally) more stable and standardised connection. Is that any different from removing an un-needed set of "extra tails" from a Henley block, after consolidating (word of the day) two fuse boxes; or even removing tails from Henley to change CU?
have to admit to changing tails form meter many times without removing fuse. to a certain degree, it can be safer than removing a fuse, expecially if its old and may break if removed. but the main problem i have with these, is the screws in the meter are not very good quality, and often break, either when removing, or tightening

When authorized by Eastern Electricity to "Self connect" in the good old days,(Q Violins) we had to go on a 2 day course, pass a practical assessment and an interview with a Area Network Engineer to get approved, only open to NICEIC APPROVED contractors at the time.We were issued with Full face mask (Use it for when chaseing in now) and rubber gloves along with Tools including a Neon screwdriver believe it or not, as this was the only recognised method of checking polarity!(All had to be paid for in the cost of the course)

They issued us with Blue plastic seals and the coded sticky labels which were traceable back to you.

It saved them money by us doing their work for them, (we even had to take Meter readings and send in on the paper work).

Bring back the Good old days I say
Before the introduction of Part P this was common practice, and an approved electrician list was built on this basis.

When I moved into my house we were blowing light bulbs all the time, I measured the voltage at 254V and complained, Scottish Hydro came round and as part of the inspection & testing tried to pull the cut out fuse. It was jammed in there solid, many months later they came round and fixed the fuse issue and told me the voltage issue was sorted as well. I now run at 249-251, still blow bulbs like nobodys business but they conveniently left such a long seal that I can pull the cut out fuse far enough to get a good isolation. That long planned DB change has just become a whole lot easier/safer.

they conveniently left such a long seal that I can pull the cut out fuse far enough to get a good isolation. That long planned DB change has just become a whole lot easier/safer.
Don't forget to insert something like an insulated screwdriver behind the fuse to ensure it does not get pushed back into it's carrier. I've done that several times to isolate without breaking the seal.