Push Fits

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bez

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to run something by you all.

I'm reburbishing my own house and have built an extension which is now the kitchen. The old kitchen is to become the study/office. Consequently, the sockets need lowering from the old kitchen height. Now during the build I have found plenty of DIY additions, spurs on spurs on spurs, that sort of thing, so have down rated the ring MCB to 20A.

Now to my question. When lowering the sockets, can I now use 20A pushfits instead of the 30A jobbies with rockers?

I have put a note on my CU informing that the ring MCB should not be restored to 32A, just in case someone with a little knowledge buys the house when we move.

if your circuit is protected by a 20A mcb then your 20amp push fits will be suitable.

If you had a spare mcb in the cu you could split it into 2 radials by breaking the ring near the mid point? then you know its not going to be increased to 32A down the line as when they look at the mcb's there is only one line going out.

never been keen on wagos, but may start giving them a go. do they need and enclosure?

It strikes me that just extending to drop kitchen sockets down will most likely result in existing cables no longer in safe zones (I'm thinking existing kitchen ring running horizontally from socket to socket will no longer be in a safe zone)

That added to all the spur on spur problems, I really think you should rewire the ring completely.

Anything else is "spoiling the ship for a hapeth of tar"

Otherwise you will end up with a newly refurbished house with a bodged ring / radial mixture.

It strikes me that just extending to drop kitchen sockets down will most likely result in existing cables no longer in safe zones (I'm thinking existing kitchen ring running horizontally from socket to socket will no longer be in a safe zone)That added to all the spur on spur problems, I really think you should rewire the ring completely.

Otherwise you will end up with a newly refurbished house with a bodged ring / radial mixture.
Concurr with that, if gutting the room, why pee about.

Oh, those things Eh !, Appear to be an expensive option IMO Bez.
Not if locating in in-accessible places, additional cost of parts is easily offset by time savings, aswell as meeting legal requirements. Still use JBs for downlights and other accessible joins. Mostly use push fits in light fittings - easier and tidier than flippng choc block, and in adaptable boxes. Try them you'll either love them or go back to what you've done for years

It strikes me that just extending to drop kitchen sockets down will most likely result in existing cables no longer in safe zones (I'm thinking existing kitchen ring running horizontally from socket to socket will no longer be in a safe zone)That added to all the spur on spur problems, I really think you should rewire the ring completely.

Existing ring is on vertical drops so no wiring will be ouside of safe zones.

Connections will be made in the existing backboxes, blanking plates fitted, old wall is to be battened out and plasterboarded, so no wet plaster issues.

Spur problem will be dealt with using Ians suggestion of breaking the ring in favour of 2 radials.

Re-wire the whole house ring? Why?

"Use a bulldozer to bury an acorn?"

I only want to lower 3 sockets, just wanted some technical advice on correct use of pushfits, not your thoughts on the state of the wiring at my house thank you.

TheorySparky, I see where you're coming from with crimp & shrink, and would normally do this if cables were being set in plaster, cheers for the advice though.

does it matter if they are 20 amps push fits, will more than 20 amps be drawn down one leg of the ring? the ones i started useing are 24 amp and says suitable for ring mains

I suppose working on the 32A full load theory, there would be a maximum of 16A down each leg anyway, or does it depend on where in the ring the load is situated.

Is it possible for most of the load to favour one leg in the right circumstances

does it matter if they are 20 amps push fits, will more than 20 amps be drawn down one leg of the ring? the ones i started useing are 24 amp and says suitable for ring mains
You could always use the 41 amp red ones, well I do anyway.