Quick introduction & Question.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MMMMMMMM...............Decisions......decisions.......never thought I'd have to pick sides so early...... :eek:

But seeing as i am yet again posting early ( waiting for said customer to finish her school run) then maybe i am early bird sort or.........then again, i go on late at night as well?!...............so maybe........I'll sit on the fence for now and watch and observe the strengths and weaknesses of my fellow competitors!

Once again thanks for the replies i'll let you know how it went:D
Just waitin for "school-rush-hour" to ease off here as well...

Tis a wet morning always = more school taxi runs :( :(

have a good day:D;)

Isn`t it odd that the "late nighters" are usually first on later in the day?

Then we go have a bath, watch the box, a bit of "rumpy-pumpy", and we`re back.

Where`re the "other lot" all this time??

We know they`ll say "we woz working!!"

But so were we!! :^O :^O:^O:^O

Evening guys......

Love to say i've just finished but that would be lying!!

So.......went to customers this morning to determine the fault previously mentioned.......i was fully prepared to find a low energy lamp in situ and to give the customer my schpiel(?!)....when low and behold i found an ordinary GLS........mmmmm........'oh did i say it was a low energy bulb'...yes you did missus........

Bang goes mine and your explanations......so i investigated the problem and found that a PIR dusk till dawn security light had been fed from the problem light in normal t&e.......nothing unusual there......but the connection of the security light neutral had been made with the 'black' switch wire of the pendant.....probably due to the flex(blue) neutral being in that connection as well......where as the loop in/out neutrals were in with the (brown) live of the pendant.......

So in effect come night time when said security light was activiated it passed a voltage down the neutral wire to the sw of the pendant thus creating a circuit of sorts but obviously with no neutral to complete the circuit it didn't complete........but i still can't really understand why it flashed? customer was'nt able to be specific on the timing of the flash....whether it was when the sensor was activated or if it was random......

Now if any of you highly intelligant chaps could shed some light on it....maybe i'm missing something really simple? :| .....that would be great....

Cheers guys

Look forward to replies

Evening guys......Love to say i've just finished but that would be lying!!

So.......went to customers this morning to determine the fault previously mentioned.......i was fully prepared to find a low energy lamp in situ and to give the customer my schpiel(?!)....when low and behold i found an ordinary GLS........mmmmm........'oh did i say it was a low energy bulb'...yes you did missus........

Bang goes mine and your explanations......so i investigated the problem and found that a PIR dusk till dawn security light had been fed from the problem light in normal t&e.......nothing unusual there......but the connection of the security light neutral had been made with the 'black' switch wire of the pendant.....probably due to the flex(blue) neutral being in that connection as well......where as the loop in/out neutrals were in with the (brown) live of the pendant.......

So in effect come night time when said security light was activiated it passed a voltage down the neutral wire to the sw of the pendant thus creating a circuit of sorts but obviously with no neutral to complete the circuit it didn't complete........but i still can't really understand why it flashed? customer was'nt able to be specific on the timing of the flash....whether it was when the sensor was activated or if it was random......

Now if any of you highly intelligant chaps could shed some light on it....maybe i'm missing something really simple? :| .....that would be great....

Cheers guys

Look forward to replies
that would make some sort of sense tbh.

and the neutral would be supplied via a backfeed thru the lamp.

im not sure how the photocell works on those lights, ie, before or after the pir,

so that may also make a difference.

but i would deffo say a strong possibility of problem solved?!

In fact...put in a bulk order... :eek:

well have Four of them!!! ]:) ] :) ]:) ] :) ]:)
Don`t be greedy................

It`s only there as a mascot. We won`t need it`s awesome range and projectile strength against the daytime wimps. :^O ] :) :^O ] :) :eek: ] :) :^O

Don`t be dirty minded. KME knows what you`re thinking!!!!!!! :^O ;) :p

Welcome aboard Krisspark also check that there are no dimmer switches fitted or close these can be very problemmatic