Rainwater Harvesting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on thread then.........I emailed my mate who has a place in deepest rural NZ. Keeps it ticking over now whilst he's moved to Dunedin for an easy life, fed up with the long drop toilet maybe? He wrote:

"Going down to the house tomorrow night, will send some photos of the tank etc. Nothing too elaborate. 5,000 gallon, or 21,000 litres concrete tank. Supposed to be better for you. Have a screen on the downpipe and a filter inside for drinking. Have a pump to pressurise the system with a non-return valve to keep it up. Gate looks good. Went right through your album. You never change do you. Little sketches every where, haha. Will send the photos."

My NZ mate has come back with this:

"Not sure if these photos will be much good to you, but as I said the rain comes off the roof, through that screen that is part of the downpipe setup and into the tank which is on the ground. The screen gets rid of all the leaves and big crap that that get blown up onto the roof. You will probably have to get a small pump or some thing to get pressure as gravity gives you ****** all. Even with 21,000 litres in the tank it only just flows. If he pumped it up higher he would get more but then he needs some where to mount the tank."

(Spot the missing stuffing gland......... :lol:  ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking overnight ref my post #28. My Kiwi mate has a non return valve on the pump inlet so water can't go back and there's a pressure switch kicks the pump in when it gets too low on the house side.