RCD earth potential

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to say it John,

But that is typical DIY talk,

neon screwdrivers are brilliant, I wouldn't be without mine,

But to say it could be used in that manner is at best complete misinformed carelessness, 

A little knowledge and all that,

and we know your not a foolish man, but that sort of statement is just totally ridiculous.

That's what the DNO does if they have two black cables sticking out of the ground!

Well at least WPD do.

I've seen it done, I suspect that John has too.

It's also what WPD teach on their course for the street lighting sparks to pull cutout fuses.

Somebody please help me, I do not want to troll through the last 114 posts

why were you called to the installation

what was the reported fault/issue

are all the people involved in this...installers and testers ALL from the same company, if not ( and I think it was mentioned that the install had not been commissioned) why we're different companies involved

what was the actual,fault

all,of these questions may well have been answered previously I was just looking for some précis 

I tried twice to get sensible information from the OP but it hasn't been answered in words that make sense!

Best you read the whole lot so you can decide for yourself....

Neon screwdrivers do lots of things!!!

Ok, so you look at something and it does not go?? Hmm. neon screwdriver out, and it has a feed!! Yeh!! so far so good. But does it have a neutral... Ahhh, how you going to find that one out?? Well touch the neutral with the neon and if it lights up, there is your problem. no neutral, as simple as that..

You turn up at a house. it is on TNCS. Hoseholder reports funny voltages or funny things happening... Hmm, isolate installation, check polarity and that it appears to be earthed bonded etc. All seems well. Re-energise, turn on some loads, and touch the neutral with the neon. It lights up. Yeh!!!! DNO have lost the neutral..

Neon screwdriver is a well useful tool!!!

john..

Neon screwdrivers do lots of things!!!

Ok, so you look at something and it does not go?? Hmm. neon screwdriver out, and it has a feed!! Yeh!! so far so good. But does it have a neutral... Ahhh, how you going to find that one out?? Well touch the neutral with the neon and if it lights up, there is your problem. no neutral, as simple as that..

You turn up at a house. it is on TNCS. Hoseholder reports funny voltages or funny things happening... Hmm, isolate installation, check polarity and that it appears to be earthed bonded etc. All seems well. Re-energise, turn on some loads, and touch the neutral with the neon. It lights up. Yeh!!!! DNO have lost the neutral..

Neon screwdriver is a well useful tool!!!

john..
In the right and proper hands,

It is invaluable,

In the wrong hands,

Its a lethal instrument.

baddayexplode

Far worse when you see people actually using them as screwdrivers. :shakehead

I tried twice to get sensible information from the OP but it hasn't been answered in words that make sense!

Best you read the whole lot so you can decide for yourself....

Whilst I acknowledge you have been disrespected, I do believe that the OP has realised the error of their approach and has tried admirably to adapt, so I think we are all big enough to move forward without the need to reflect as it is fruitless in this instance. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum? We the regular  posters/members are the face of the forum and whilst we shouldn't suffer any abuse, we should accept that it will always come, but it is how we choose to deal with it. Clearly if the Op doesn't see the error of their ways and persists in the disrespectful vein then this does not apply. 

That's what the DNO does if they have two black cables sticking out of the ground!

Well at least WPD do.

I've seen it done, I suspect that John has too.

It's also what WPD teach on their course for the street lighting sparks to pull cutout fuses.
Except round here they do that with a volt stick instead.

I don't believe it does,

It doesnt prove dead either,

As the term suggests, 

Its a neon indicator, that it may be,,,,,,
then why use them?

I've not used one since I was told off by a old hand while doing my time(coffin fillers he said), the same guy would not let use a Yankee screwdriver, or a claw hammer they were a carpenter tools and we were better than them so we weren't to use their tools

then why use them?

I've not used one since I was told off by a old hand while doing my time(coffin fillers he said), the same guy would not let use a Yankee screwdriver, or a claw hammer they were a carpenter tools and we were better than them so we weren't to use their tools
Because, used correctly its one of the best fault finding tools you could have in your box.

When i was an apprentice the old sparks used to lick their thumb and stick it in the lampholder to see if it was live. I never tried it .
It was always called the flick test, and one that I learned as an apprentice. It is however not advised suitable testers are available today.