RCD problems,

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiles1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just took over a job which included new dual rcd cu unit (havells), all tested done and all readings fine, powered up and again all fine, but rcd side closest incomer all good but other side won't take any sort of load, this was last thing today so didn't have time to sort then but at home can't stop thinking about it, any ideas would be most appreciated, cheers all and thanks again. Kiles

Hi all, that was my first thought but had a quick look and all seems fine on that front although I didn't thoroughly look everywhere, on the side where keeps tripping there is three ways and none of them take any sort of load. Cheers

RCDs dont 'trip' on load (usually), they are designed to trip on imbalance/leakage to earth.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:06 ----------

My initial thought was a crossed neutral, but couldn't that take out both RCDs??So thinking that,, internal tail links wrongly configured?
in theory yes, but they will usually only take out the one the load is on.

Hi all,Just took over a job which included new dual rcd cu unit (havells), all tested done and all readings fine, powered up and again all fine, but rcd side closest incomer all good but other side won't take any sort of load, this was last thing today so didn't have time to sort then but at home can't stop thinking about it, any ideas would be most appreciated, cheers all and thanks again. Kiles
So was the CU existing or did you fit it ?

Fault sounds like a N & E reversed in a socket with something plugged in

Deffo a crossed N... If u swap over ye live and earth in a socket and turn it on nothing would happen but under load it will trip...

N - E Fault will take out RCD when ANY load is drawn.

Disconnect All Nuetrals and check one by one.

I've had it a couple of times with N-E crossed in sockets, no probs until RCD attached to circuit.

Hi all, went back to job today and checked everything turned out stupid mistake by previous electrician, then explained fault to customer, she then told me she thought it was weird when he came back to do electrics because a couple of years earlier he built a brick wall for them and as far as she knew he was a bricklayer, lol. Anyway cheers all for all your comments. Kiles

Hi all, went back to job today and checked everything turned out stupid mistake by previous electrician, then explained fault to customer, she then told me she thought it was weird when he came back to do electrics because a couple of years earlier he built a brick wall for them and as far as she knew he was a bricklayer, lol. Anyway cheers all for all your comments. Kiles
But what was the stupid mistake ???

My lecturer done the same thing at a friends house, he was so embarrassed as he spent an extra 4 or 5 hours checking and re-checking stuff and after leaving after midnight he came back next morning after he had his Eureka moment.

Latest posts