RCD Protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elec2012

Reaction score
I have a job where by i am removing a ringmain and replacing it with a radial circuit with 2/3 sockets on. The CU is an old rewireable fuse type and the customer does not wish to have it upgraded, obviously i need to put the new circuit i am to install on a RCD but what is the easyest way of doing this feeding it from the origional CU? Put in a single MCB,RCD protected 'mini' CU in next to the board and feed it from the 32A rewireable fuse?

You need to keep it totally seperate from the old fuse board (CU).

Get a small garage enclosure and split the tails, if the customer is not willing to pay the extra walk away and let some cowboy do the job.

yes i agree, obviosuly ideally it just wants upgrading but they have said no, whats the best way of splitting the tails? I havnt had a job yet where i have needed to do this....

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:41 ----------

sorry, think i have found the answer to my question, henley bock.... cheers

I have a job where by i am removing a ringmain and replacing it with a radial circuit with 2/3 sockets on. The CU is an old rewireable fuse type and the customer does not wish to have it upgraded, obviously i need to put the new circuit i am to install on a RCD but what is the easyest way of doing this feeding it from the origional CU? Put in a single MCB,RCD protected 'mini' CU in next to the board and feed it from the 32A rewireable fuse?
Just a small point, but unless you intend to wire the radial in 4.0mm or larger it should not be on a 32A fuse of any type. ;

Edit just reread the op, the connection to the mini cu would need to be in 4.0mm, the mcb in the mini cu would need to be 20A

Last edited by a moderator:
One of these and one of these

Bring a cable from the original fuse/breaker into this, then out to your new circuit. Downrate the fuse/breaker as appropriate.