Rcd reg for general sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read somewhere, I can't recall where, that without a mutually agreement between yourself and the client it is impossible to state which sockets may, or may not, be for use by ordinary or skilled persons. The duty holder of the installation would need to ensure only appropriately trained staff used non RCD protected outlets. A suitably signed list detailing sockets X,Y & Z in locations A, B & C are non RCD outlets would probably be sufficient for you to discharge your responsibilities. This is however not that much different from the need to agree with the client the extent and limitations of an installation to be inspected. I would have thought any competent electrician would be asking about this point before commencing any inspection, just the same as they would be asking about any items vulnerable to testing or any circuits that cannot have power removed or for copies of previous test reports and certificates etc..

Doc H.

What we must remember though is that other regs are taken into consideration as all the info above goes out of the window the minute the circuit has a buried cable(that hasnt been suitably protected or permitted type of cable used etc), so its not so black and white as may be suggested in some posts which could lead to further confusion.... I.e fridge freezer for instance can't just be decided to not have rcd if its buried in the wall....

Hi all,

Hi Paul,

Yes, i agree with what you say about EAWR and "Anyone working in a place of employment MUST under EAWR be an instructed person" yes, but instructed in what... and what about providing against accidents.....Nobody electrocutes themselves deliberately....

The EAWR regs say;

Persons to be competent to prevent danger and injury

16. No person shall be engaged in any work activity where technical knowledge or experience is necessary to prevent danger or, where appropriate, injury, unless he possesses such knowledge or experience, or is under such degree of supervision as may be appropriate having regard to the nature of the work.

Now, this is all very well, but what about the protection of other persons not engaged in such work activities, and provisions for the effect of accidents etc.

I will explain what i mean.

Bert Scroggins is a welder working in a fab shop. His employer has done all he can to make sure that Bert knows what he is doing, besides, Bert is a qualified tradesman. Now, it could be argued that plugging in an ordinary 13A plug is hardly an activity where "technical knowledge or experience is necessary to prevent danger" but, notwithstanding this, Bert's employer has decided that he will, in the interests of safety, tell his staff that before they are to plug in a plug of say a power tool, a grinder perhaps, that they must visually inspect the tool, cable and plug to make sure it is not damaged before plugging it in. Besides, all the tools are pat tested, and they are all 110v ones powered by suitable transformers too. The employer, and Bert the welder, have done all they can to prevent danger and all laws, electrical and otherwise, have been complied with.

Bert's boss employs a labourer, Fred. All Fred does is sweep up and lug things about, nothing where "technical knowledge or experience is necessary to prevent danger" but even so, he has been on a manual handling course and all the rest of it too.

One day, Fred, is tidying up and is lugging a bit of plate about and he props it up against a wall. In doing so, purely by accident, he traps the flex leading to Berts radio against the wall, cuts it, is electrocuted and badly hurt as there was no RCD provision for the socket.

It all ends up in court; Counsel for Fred's employer point out that all laws have been complied with, and everyone had the required technical knowledge to do their own jobs safely, and therefore M'Lud, not our fault, as, "accidents will happen"

Counsel for Fred point out, that, having regards to "No person shall be engaged in any work activity where technical knowledge or experience is necessary to prevent danger or, where appropriate, injury, unless he possesses such knowledge or experience, or is under such degree of supervision as may be appropriate having regard to the nature of the work" there was no suggestion at all that Fred's employer had not taken all the measures they could to train their staff to carry out their tasks safely, and had thereby complied with the EAWR.

HOWEVER, it is the case that sockets are used to power things, things usually have cables or a flex connected to them, and therefore, it was therefore "reasonably forseeable" that a cable or flex might become damaged as a result of an accident, and someone get hurt. Therefore M'Lud, we contend that Freds employers were negligent in this respect, as regards provision for reasonably forseeable events.

SEND FOR THE ELECTRICIAN!!!!!!

The judge asks Mr Sparks why he did not fit an rcd to this socket?? Mr Sparks says that he felt it not necessary, as in the rules it says that "Socket outlets for use under the supervision of skilled or instructed persons, e.g. in some commercial or industrial locations" do not require an RCD.

The judge however, points out that Mr Sparks was not in a position to predict either who may, or may not, use the sockets, as it was out of his control, and besides, the operative word in the rules was "some" industrial locations, not all of them, and had he any contractual undertaking from his client as to who exactly, was going to use this socket, and what exactly, they were going to use it for?? In particular, had he any assurance from his client that the socket was not going to be used to power "mobile equipment with a current rating not exceeding 32A for use outdoors" because there is NO exception for sockets that might be used for this purpose having RCD protection, whether used in an "industrial or commercial" environment or otherwise.

So, unless one wants to take part in a test case where a judge is called upon to decide in what legal context a person is to be considered "skilled or instructed", best fit an RCD, unless of course, the owner of the property specifically states that he does not require one, and furthermore, is willing to accept liability for this decision, which is what i think Doc H is suggesting might be wise in post 21.

john.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Health and safety laws at work are never quite that clear cut, and even when instructed an employer can still be brought to court. There are various reasons why the above example can be negated and defended as there are reasons for upholding any case. The wiring regulations permit the installation of circuits without RCD protection, and all reasonable care when doing so should be undertaken.

However I do not know if any of you do know that there is a disclaimer in the regulations.

"While the publisher and contributors believe that the information and guidance given in this work is correct, all parties must rely upon their own skill and judgement when making use of it. Neither the publisher nor any contributor assume any liability to anyone for any loss or damage caused by any error or omission in the work, whether such error or omission is the result of negligence or any other cause. Any and all liability is disclaimed."

In my opinion the problem in freds case is that the instructed person left a portable appliance plugged in and switched on. It should have been un plugged after use and put away.

if it was static equipment the flex should be either mechanically protected or tied up in an area not accessable and deffinatley not on the floor in a storage area.

You do know Fred and Bert aren't real don't you Sellers........ :slap

Good commment though, Bert would be responsible as the deemed competent person to make sure the appliance was put away..... Which is one of the reasons he was given the title of skilled or instructed person!

also fred should be instructed to store items in a clean space.

The problem lies with comunication and safe systems of work, not the installation, even if the socket was RCD protected, fred would still have had a shock, still could be injured or killed.

I thought Fred used to be Brians :C labourer until he lost the olympic contract?

Yes, but the appliance was not put away cos it it was in use, it was Bert's radio!!

Bert is redundant now, but the jobcentre are sending him for a job in an old folks home. Minimum wage mind, but still, it is making the owners very rich, cos it is only

Last edited by a moderator: