RCD trip flagged by EICR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arrkaye

Reaction score
Hi,

Had an eicr done recently and they flagged two C2's.

Backbox not earthed on a particular socket - easy fix

Socket behind TV causes RCD to trip - this could be a loose or messy cabling, but can anyone advise how easy this is to diagnose? How can this be tested given the socket works fine. How would they have tested this and found this issue?

TIA

I suspect the back box was earthed by way of the socket so probably needed no Code.
Check the socket behind the television is connected correctly.

So the person doing the inspection only checked behind 1 socket then so all the other socket backboxes are in all likelyhood not earthed not even worthy of a code
As for one socket tripping the RCD this would need more explanation on the inspectors part it wouldn't be a C2 and with no explanation only possibly an FI
I would suggest the OP posts a redacted copy of the EICR as it sounds like another dodgy one

A back box not earthed is never a C2

Did the TV socket trio the RCD before the EICR was done - again this isn’t a C2
What code is a metal backbox not earthed?
i.e., no cpc terminal on the backbox so cpc earth not connected to the backbox, but the socket is earthed to the backbox via the two BA screws.

Last edited:
If this is a metal flush box ie surrounded by plaster, and has at least 1 fixed metal screw hole then no code at all from me.in this situation it is earthed by way of the socket screws,so can not be not earthed

"Socket behind TV causes RCD to trip "
You mean the RCD in the Consumer Unit ?
It was only the electricians that made it trip, you haven't had it trip when you use the TV ?

They only need earthing if you have 2 floating lugs, and you don't see many of those anymore.
Thx binky. Hazy on this. You sparked the grey matter. I have seen some backboxes without the cpc terminal, so falls in line. One fixed lug is fine. The cpc terminal is then only useful as an earth conductor park.
Two floating lugs was/is superb in lining up sockets.

Yeh, it was all ********.

They sent me a quote for £250 to earth the backbox and swap out the socket. I flipped out and left a bad review, which they then offered to reclassify the C2's as C3's if I take down. Scam company.

Yeh, it was all ********.

They sent me a quote for £250 to earth the backbox and swap out the socket. I flipped out and left a bad review, which they then offered to reclassify the C2's as C3's if I take down. Scam company.

So tell them you will if the updated report is with you in 24 hours - then delete the original bad review and then after 24 hours more leave a less than positive review

Well, probably not. I know the electrics are probably fine, I have the EICR from the installation. And they did do the actual inspection, just inflated a couple of items to try and extort me for the "repairs". I'd rather not be involved tbh. Will just arrange with another firm.