Regurgitating The Old Favourite ! Part P

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made me think after reading the editorial in the June  PE  magazine .

I was feeling much the same myself ...that the "new" Part P, is a  watered down version by the government committee to allow more domestic work  to be carried out by DIYers and  unskilled people .

So what was the point of the whole bloody thing other than creating various "Competent Persons " schemes which we have to fund and also creating the phenomea of the 5WW .

Now it being shrunk ,   they even had " Should it be scrapped " on the agenda .  That would have been an embarassment. 

And they still can't decide on third party " Signing off"  by contractors .  

A couple of things I wondered about ........  there must be , now, a massive database of notified jobs being stored somewhere.    To what end? 

And I guess that LBCs  must have enough to do without arranging for electrical works to be signed off .

I feel Part P  is Petering out having done nothing whatsoever towards controlling work being  carried out by untrained, unskilled , incompetent persons .        It seems to have been quite a money making scheme with:-

a)   Existing qualified electricians paying out yearly subs to schemes.

b)   Existing qualified electricians paying out because new edition of the Regs was thrown into the equation.

c)   Existing qualified electricians paying to "notify" jobs onto databases. 

d)   College fees /bums on seats by abandoning the 5 year apprenticship for the 5 week fast track courses.

e)   Throwing in yet another qually  the NFG 3 to be paid for by working spaks again of course.

Just whinging

And the other strange thing about it  of course is ,    it doesn't exist in Scotland    and the "NEW"  Part P   doesn't exist in Wales ,  yet believe it or not ...we are still , at the time of writing ...all part of the UK.  

Just being perfectly truthful actually!

It is a fecking joke.....end of!
I just did nine paragraphs  and Kerch reduces it to three words  ....  "a fecking joke"  ... Hmmmm  why didn't I think of that ??  :C  

All it proves is the essence of any government, 'be seen to be doing something, whilst actually doing nothing'

It was a white elephant from the start, was never given the chance to actually achieve what it was setup to do.

What it has done is fill the shortfall of electricians that this country was crying out for............I'll leave that for the sparks to decide if it was ever true.

Canoeboy said:
Complete Joke

You shouldn't be able to go to B&Q or a wholesaler and buy anything electrical unless you show your ID card (proving your a sparkie)

I dont know if its changed but in Germany you cant buy anything electrcial (spark wise) unless your show your trade card, that was 10 years or so ago

Back in the days (Kerching will remember - No Kerch not the slate and chisel - roll forward 20 years) when you were in the wholesaler and joe public or numptie came in for a socket, light fitting or cable and the staff said "Sorry this is trade and account customers only"

Just reminiscing.....
I remember it well, on the slim chance that they got served they were made to wait until the man with the brown warehouse coat deemed them worthy of serving. Then, and only then, were they treated with complete derision

I was in wholesales the other day and clever Kevin the local feckwit plumber came in. Fancies himself as a property renovator. Walked out with a complete set of gear to rewire one of his properties, I know he will be doing it all himself.

I saw a shower he fitted once.......didn't need an earth as it was a plastic casing

HO hum, if only we had a method of policing such matters.....maybe some government appointed ..................

Firearms/Kill = Gun License required

Electricity/Kills = Credit/Debit Card or cash required

How many scams with different joining criteria?

:lol:

The more I see discussed about this, the more I am glad that (quite by chance) I moved north of the border in 2003.

But the thing is, before I moved, and before part pee was introduced, I don't recall hearing much from the trade wishing for such a scheme.

But now you seem to be complaining it's being dumbed down?

I do agree all it seems to have done is cost a lot of sparks a lot of time and money.

I think the point being Dave is all the sparks that have paid into a NON enforcable scheme are now angry about having been stoopid enough to pay into something that is now being virtually phased out.

Not quite, what makes me angry is that scheme was never enforced properly - it would have worked if it had been. Watering it down is just unbelievable, and who has been lobbying for that to happen???? The likes of B&Q by any chance?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to regulate who does, and does not do electrical work, then introducing a building regulation to cover it is NOT the way to do it.

That's why it has "failed"

I will say this again........ for the people who do not understand the farce of it......

To carry out a EICR all you need to be is competent..no scheme membership  but you do need to understand the testing side of things,and for course interpret the coding system.

Now as previously discussed  2 guys could do one on the same house and code stuff differently

So you then look at a cu change,,,,,what actually is the difference except for replacing the board ???

now if you can do an EICR you know what should be the right way of doing it

but you need to be Part registered and notify this job FFS a joke   except if you are a homeowner and can do it yourself with no comeback

It is all messed up

I was working in someones house earlier in the week and he knew nothing of Part P, any other building regs or any part of BS7671

It didn't stop him doing loads of alterations to the building and electrics and making an complete hash of them :eek:

So thinking realistically Part P has failed and IMHO this is the government and scam operators fault.... its just us mugs who keep on paying for scam registration :shakehead

Just to answer Prodave's observation , :-

None of us wanted it .

It was forced upon us.

As was the Competent Person's Schemes.

As was the contrived listings of what is notifiable and what wasn't.......and  the creation of the "Special Locations"  which already existed anyway with regard to RCDs ...Pull Switches  etc. 

So, lemming-like, we paid our money , joined the schemes , thinking that something akin to Gas Safe  was being mooted.

Then we find that hardly anyone has heard of it ,  and the government has now declared that anyone can do electrical work as long as they don't install a new circuit .

We also found that Bathroom and kitchen fitters were getting a restricted  qualification to carry out electrics  instead of employing a proper sparks.

And the government suddenly found that you can train to be a Sparks in 5 weeks instead of 5 years ,!!!  And I don't ever remember there being a shortage of sparks TBH  More the opposite if you ask me !

A far better government backed scheme  would have been to introduce at least a minimum qualification to call yourself a "Builder" instead of the present scheme ........owning a pick- up truck, a barrow , a trowel , two shovels and a £4 Hi-Viz vest . 

Last edited by a moderator:
It can only get worse, and today I received a letter saying I cannot retire until I'm 66 FFS, another year added, I've got a job getting up every morning now let alone another 9 years.

if nobody notified would anybody notice ?

how could they enforce it ???

I wonder

It can only get worse, and today I received a letter saying I cannot retire until I'm 66 FFS, another year added, I've got a job getting up every morning now let alone another 9 years.
Says who?

Yes you might not get your state pension until you are 66, but don't let that stop you planning to retire.

I'm not working a day after my 60th birthday. Sooner if I can manage it.

I am now not registered under the domestic installer scheme, we gave up as its not within our normal remit. However I am doing an install that includes 2 separate flats  within the same building. I contacted building control and reported this issue explaining that a building compliance certificate will need to be issued for the domestic part of the building, and could they do the required inspections.

Their answer was, give us copies of your certificates, and if we ascertain they are acceptable we will issue the compliance when we get your test certificates.

I just love part p.

Latest posts