Reliable Volt stick?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with Steptoe on this one.

I would never never never use a volt stick, they are just too sensitive and light up to often when there's no "real" power there.

As a quick secondary check I use a NEON SCREWDRIVER

That will only light up if there's enough real juice there to give you a shock, it won't light up from capacitive coupling from an adjacent live circuit.

And just so I don't get flamed for suggesting a neon to "test for dead" I always test properly with a meter first, but the neon comes in handy as a final confidence check.

It's also useful for diagnosing faults on lighting circuits where often no neutral is available in the switch box.

EDIT

The futility of Volt sticks was illustrated to me many years ago when I was called to diagnose major problems on a 3 phase supply. When I got there, I found the power lines came down in a storm, and the DNO had hooked up a generator to supply the property until the linesmen came and repaired the overhead feed. When I got there I found the genny was connected wrong, putting 400V on one of the phases, causing lots of equipment in the property to blow. So I called the DNO.

I could not believe it when the DNO guy turned up, pulled out a volt stick from his pocket, "tested" each phase and said "what's your problem?" I then got my volt meter out and showed him what the problem was. Unbelievable that the DNO place such reliance on such a carp piece of equipment.

Its wierd how loads of people like to rubbish volt stick, but nearly everyone has one in their bag?

they can be temprementle but they do have there usages

Take this blokes word for it, dont buy this type (half inched from M4ttys thread)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7egZeipktDw

AndyGuinness
That actually raises two very good points:

1) Don't buy a cheap multimeter like that one, I wouldn't trust it, and the probes are rubbish.

2) the GOOD point he raises (without knowing it) is if you have lost the neutral, then a volt meter test might indicate the circuit is dead, when it's not. I usually test to earth as well, just in case there's no neutral.

But this illustrates why I still like to test with the neon screwdriver as well, just in case.

Hi M4tty, sorry i missed your post, you can find our best price by following the link on the home page, all forum members will get 5% extra off on their first order and should always contact me via the link to our web site on the home page of the forum for extra deals.
Can't seem to find your link?

I bought a megger VF2, didnt last very long,broke first use seems I managed to break it inserting batterys, is a pair of small springs making contact from lid to main body, mine managed to get caught up ripped to bits when I closed it up, will get a fluke one next I think

Oh, and I have had a Fluke Stick for a couple of Years.

Don't know when the last time that I used it was though. :|

I have a megger vf2 it keeps going off on its own in tool box or in pocket has anyone else had this problem