Replacing Ceiling Rose With Junction Box - Can I Push It Up Into Space In Ceiling.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sameerp

Reaction score
Hi all.

Any advice on the following is much appreciated.

I am replacing current bathroom flush light fitting with an IP44 rated Flush Light fitting.
The current fitting is connected to Ceiling rose plate (which is then just covered by the flush mount fitting). Its a ring circuit.

I cant just replace it with the new fitting and use the current ceiling rose plate
- As the new IP44 light fitting is double insulated, this leaves no room for the ceiling rose plate as it sticks out from the ceiling a little.
- the old fitting had enough space, but the IP44 fitting has none.

So one approach would be to remove the ceiling rose and cover chocblox connections with insulated tape and push back into the ceiling. Im not sure if that is best, and whether it ok to do in a bathroom.

So im going to get a Junction box or an IP44 enclosure for the connectors and then put them in the ceiling.

I have 3 questions.

1. when i push the Junction Box or enclosure through the hole in the ceiling, does it have to be secured in someway? Or is it ok for it to just be pushed above the plasterboard ceiling?

2. Does any enclosure of Junction Box have to be IP44 or greater as its going to be used in bathroom ceiling?

3. Any advice on best product to use? Ive come across Junction Box, Wago box, Choco Box, Ashley J501 Connector Box, Wago Connectors?

Last edited by a moderator:
why not re-make the connections within the new light - there's normally space.

Incidentally, I very much doubt your lights a re a ring circuit, and make sure you identify the switch line and mark it.

Welcome.

Probably not a great idea to post links to other forums but no doubt a mod will be along soon to sort that out.

In answer to your questions:

1. Depends on how the box is terminated and what kind of box you use.

2. Once above the ceiling you are no longer in the bathroom so depending on what is above the ceiling the box should meet the appropriate IP rating of that area.

3. All depends on what you prefers. Some like one manufacturer. Others prefer another.