Replacing Cylinder Stat - Wiring Issue From Drayton Cs1 To Drayton Hts3

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Outhwaite

Reaction score
I am replacing an non-functional Drayton CS1 Cylinder Stat with a Drayton HTS3. 

The Cylinder Stat actuates an ACL Lifestyle two-port motorised valve.

The wiring on the old configuration was just Live (brown), Neutral (blue) and Earth (Y/G) - both from the 'wall' to the Stat and from Valve to Stat. Earths from both sides were wired to an earth terminal in the CS1.
I understand that I do not need the Earth on the HTS3 as it is double insulated so can blank that one off.

So two questions:

Do I need to earth the valve motor?
How do I connect the remaining wires from both sides (from Wall and from Valve) to the HTS3 Stat's Common, 1 and 2 terminals? The original Live from the 'wall' was connected to the Common on the CS1.

Thanks in anticipation

Mark

If your cylinder stat had live, neutral and earth only then it would have never worked so the rest of the post is nonsense.

Not really sure what your question is, if an item needs an earth then earth it, if not then don't. If you are replacing a cylinder stat refit the wiring as per the removed item, i.e. com, call & sat terminals.

If the valve has not been replaced AND it needed an earth before then IT NEEDS an earth now!, why wouldn't it?

May be able to join through the earths at the stat

But without seeing it OR you posting a pic or sketch then it is pure speculation

Not sure why you have a cable to the stat and another from it either

Also,the fact that the cores are brown and blue does not mean they are LINE and Neutral..........i would hazard a guess at Live and switched live/call

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I will chock the two earths together - as before.

I am assuming in which case that I connect both brown wires to the Common terminal and the two blue wires to the Call (1) terminal. Although not sure it makes any difference which way around.

I am assuming in which case that I connect both brown wires to the Common terminal and the two blue wires to the Call (1) terminal. Although not sure it makes any difference which way around.
If both browns were in the common terminal then that is where they need to go on the new stat. Same for the rest of the wires really, all sounds very odd though.

If I am reading this correctly you are just replacing a cylinder thermostat, nothing more, nothing less.

It might have a brown and a blue wire but I doubt either in neutral. It will be live in and switched live out.

Connect the new 'stat the same way as the old one was connected.

Well since my last post Me Merlot and his mate Mr Baileys have bben around so things are much less clear now

You have one cable in from 'wall' and one out to valve?.....weird

Did you take a pic/make a drawing of the connections to the old stat?

Did and wires have a connector on them?

Now it sounds more like a line and. Neutral from 'wall' and neutral/switched line to valve......but if this was the case then how were the 'blues' connected

Mr Merlot and Mr Baileys think this very strange

Now it sounds more like a line and. Neutral from 'wall' and neutral/switched line to valve......but if this was the case then how were the 'blues' connected
I kind of thought that, I think I agree with Messrs. Merlot & Bailey. Could well be one of those "I ripped everything out without noting which wire went where so all the same colours must go back in with each other, right?".

Ok guys - actually a Bath Ales Gem and a comment on another forum jogged memory. Browns to Common and 1. Blues Chocked. Earths which were connected to earth on CS1 now chocked. Now works as before. However it is an interesting configuration and I will get in an engineer to look the whole lot over before it goes thoroughly pear-shaped.

Thanks

Ok guys - actually a Bath Ales Gem and a comment on another forum jogged memory. Browns to Common and 1. Blues Chocked. Earths which were connected to earth on CS1 now chocked. Now works as before. However it is an interesting configuration and I will get in an engineer to look the whole lot over before it goes thoroughly pear-shaped.
That wiring format sounds slightly more sensible. Still not very standard though.

Thanks
That is what Merlot and Bailey said in #7 is it not?

Still,an odd way of doing it though!....mind you i have only been a spark for in excess of 40 years so,i have a lot to learn...according to others