Replacing Lv Down Lights With Gu10 Fittings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msassoon

Reaction score
Can't find the answer to this question anywhere, so thought I would come to the friendliest electricians

If the mains wiring is looped into each downlight and then fitted with its own transformer then you can probably just replace the entire fitting with a mains voltage one.

Yes, I could do that, but quite happy with the light setup in general and spent a lot on the Philips LED bulbs I have. Also, not sure what kind of earthing I have up there.

Yes, I could do that, but quite happy with the light setup in general and spent a lot on the Philips LED bulbs I have. Also, not sure what kind of earthing I have up there.
OK, some confusion/vagueness here then.

You are wanting to buy a mains rated fitting and replace the connector with a low voltage connector and fit them to the existing transformers so you can use the existing low voltage lamps?

Should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
take one of the lv lamps with you when you buy the fittings to make sure it fits. Also get fire-rated replacements if originals are fire-rated.

You'd need to remove the transformers entirely if you install new 230v fittings, also the new fittings would probably require the earth wire to be connected whereas the old fittings may not have required it.

You'd need to remove the transformers entirely if you install new 230v fittings, also the new fittings would probably require the earth wire to be connected whereas the old fittings may not have required it.
I think you have missed a few points raised in this thread.

Thanks gents, thought that was the case. I have resigned myself to cutting the holes larger as they are only 60mm currently

depending what you want you should be able to get a downlight to suite the hole size, though 64mm seems to be fairly common. As for fire-rated unless the ceiling is a fire barrier then this is not needed, what counts a s a fire barrier would be say you own a flat and the ceiling is the floor for the flat above, if you catch my drift. 1 house is 1 fire compartment and generally does not need fire rated fittings