Restoring Norton Ghost Image

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they work but usually only if the motor for the drive head has failed, in that case they can completely recover the drive (its not unheared of for the motor for the drive head to fail)

a hard drive is the same as a record player inside with a disk and a readhead that is moved backwards and forwards with a motor

I know shanky, I've stripped a few.

It's not a read head failure, it's not a platten motor failure, it's not a read head motion motor fail.

The boot & recovery partition has become corrupt.

The issue is that it is not a "normal" PC.

It uses FAT16, & NTFS, it has a BIOS, it uses DOS (6.21) and NT 4.0, it is to all intents and purposes a PC, but, it has a "special" BIOS, and does not behave like a normal PC.

no what im saying is an md5 of the backup file that way you can tell if the backup file you have stored away has been compromised.

if the backups md5 has changed one one of the backup drives then you know to use the other one where it hasnt changed if you ever need to restore it.

this way you can delete the compromised backup and replace with by making a copy of the good copy from the other backup drive
OK, I get that, but the client won't do it, because they can't.

We will have two back up's of the system, once it's going again.

They won't pay me to go there regularly to check a disk in their safe!

In theory, a disk in the safe should not change...

Once I get it sorted, this issue will never happen again, plus I will, have a solution for this sort of control when I come across it again!