Scottish electrician working in England

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dairyspark

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So good friend of mine has bought a house in Berinsfield and has asked if I can help with any electrical issues. Now I live in Scotland, did my apprenticeship here etc etc. Now my question is, can I go down and work on his house etc. not entirely sure of the extent of the work yet, or is there extra hoops I need to jump through like part p etc.

Cheers

As my signature says, no part P in Scotland. If I travelled down to do any notifiable work I would not be able to sign it off. the last job I did in England was a new CU for my sister just before Part P came along about the time I was moving.

Best of luck in dodge city.

you can just for domestic building regs in england are different. just remember for compliance with part p you need to work to BS7671:2008 amd to 2011, no need to work to 18th edition

So how do I go about doing notifiable work on his house or can I simply not? Surely as a member of Select (I know it’s Scotland only) but surely it carries some for of sign of competence?

homeowner would need to apply for planning permission, you do the work, building control inspects & signs it off

depend what you are doing though, there is a lot you can do without notification so would just be an EIC/MWC same as you would in scotland

So how do I go about doing notifiable work on his house or can I simply not? Surely as a member of Select (I know it’s Scotland only) but surely it carries some for of sign of competence?

Yes you can do notifiable work.. Design, Install, Test & Certify it all as normal for BS761 compliance..

Then arrange to let the local building control see your certificates & qualifications, so they can decide if any more checking is need to ensure Part-P has been met.

Check the current online copy of Part P guidance here..

Inside which you should find this info applicable to your situation..

Part P compliance.JPG

As Andy said it is the Homeowners responsibility to ensure building regs compliance not the contractor..
It is NOT the contractor who will get fined for failing to meet building regs.

Get your mate to ring his LABC to check on what their procedures are...
Not all councils work the same..
(As long as they have a valid electrical certificate so they can tick all the boxes and sign the job off for a small fee..
Then everyone's happy, and you just have to crack on and do your work as normal issuing correct paperwork at the end.}