PIR wiring help please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yonnie sparks

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m new on here, in my second year electrical apprenticeship and in need of some assistance if anyone would be so kind.
A friend of mine has recently had his kitchen revamped, I have already done the down lights for him and he would now like a strip light under his island worktop that is switched on via a PIR when you walk into the kitchen. I know how to do this, but what has thrown me is that he would also like a manual override to switch the lights on when the PIR times out. The strip light is powered from a receiver from a transformer… so… feed to transformer to receiver to lights. The receiver has an on/off function and can change the colour of the lights.
Now… if I use the switch live from the PIR and connect that to the transformer, surely the transformer is only going to have power while the PIR is activated, meaning the receiver won’t work once the PIR times out?!
Any ideas how I can wire this setup with the receiver working as an override and be able to change the colour of the lights?
Thanks in advance

All you can do is fit an extra switch which bypasses the PIR. You can't make something which is AFTER the PIR override the PIR to ON.
The electronic switch will still turn the lights OFF regardless of .PIR or any override
When trying to figure out an unusual switching arrangement I find it useful to sketch out the schematic.

Many thanks for the replies guys.
Ok, I’ve done a sketch on what I think you’ve recommended. Would you mind taking a look to make sure I’ve understood?
Thanks again

Attachments

• 2F651A63-5101-42E4-B96A-C20D01B816E1.jpeg
    2F651A63-5101-42E4-B96A-C20D01B816E1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Yes that's OK.
Great! Just one more query if you don’t mind please Geoff…
All the connections, transformer etc, will be housed in a spare kitchen cupboard. How about using a wireless switch for the override? I could stick it at the end of his kitchen island under the breakfast bar, meaning it would easily accessed but also fairly concealed. Have you had any experience with wireless switches? Any good?
Cheers

Click do a toggle three position switch, centre position for off, top for PIR operation, bottom for override PIR so light on, think the click ref number is Product Code: GM2070PW states as 20AX 3 Position Centre ‘Off’ Switch Module, hope this helps

Great! Just one more query if you don’t mind please Geoff…
All the connections, transformer etc, will be housed in a spare kitchen cupboard. How about using a wireless switch for the override? I could stick it at the end of his kitchen island under the breakfast bar, meaning it would easily accessed but also fairly concealed. Have you had any experience with wireless switches? Any good?
Cheers
I've not used any of the reputable brand ones, but I don't know any reason you can't for your application.
(I do have an unbranded cheap import one, installed in an emergency three or four years ago and that still works fine.)